SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melle_sacto_gw

Catt hybrid: new growth turned brown

I bought a small Ctna. 'Why Not' x L. briegeri (and somewhere in that name is Red Gold as well but they didn't write it on the tag) a few months ago and it seemed to be doing okay, with two new growths.

About a month ago, both growths turned dark brownish-purple overnight and I unpotted the plant to see if the roots were okay (I had never checked them). They weren't great but weren't rotted, either. I added some bark to the mix (it was 100% sphag, which doesn't seem to work well for me). Within a couple days, the larger brown growth started to send out some more green growth from the top so I figured it was okay but I ended up picking off the small brown growth in a fit of OCD ;-)

So, overnight, the larger growth turned dark brownish-purple for a second time. I know it happened overnight because I looked at this orchid yesterday and the new growth looked great. This plant grows in a south-facing window with some oncid intergenerics, a NOID brassia (all have re-spiked for me so they're getting enough light), a couple phals and Dendrobium aggregatum. They all seem fine.

I saw an earlier thread about what may be this same phenomenon happening to catts but I can't recall what caused it or if it was bad and I didn't understand if it applied to new growths or to spikes (do catts have spikes?).

Anyway, thanks for reading. Here's a pic of what's going on. I appreciate your comments as this is my first catt intergeneric.

{{gwi:178516}}

Melanie

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz