SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
claritamaria

Catt Hybrid Question

claritamaria
17 years ago

The GIANT BLC is back at Clara's "Orchid Hospital" again. I don't grow Catts or their hybrids. Have given it some improved conditions. Some of the leaves, canes and new growth are turning a pink colour. I assume that is a good thing? If so, how colourful should I let it get?

What is a reasonable expectation for this plant in terms of growth and flowering? or can someone steer me to some detailed info? New growth has some nice chunky roots, but new growth is quite conservative in quantity.

Its been in Paph- Phal conditions and with me (again) for about 2-3 weeks. Currently it's in a 10" basket in bark mix with a touch of spag under lights and in a west window that gets late afternoon sun.

Thank you

Clara

Comments (14)

• clintdawley
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Clara.

The pinkish-reddish blush on catts is normal indicating that they are at their upper level of light tolerance. Does you BLC have a name? Most red or pink hybrids get this tinge when they are happy with the light you are giving them.

Usually, big orchids like BLCs bloom once per year (again, do you have a name?). Most of these big hybrids break into one or two new leads a year unless they are fairly large plants.

Keep the humidity up and make sure you follow the wet-dry cycle that catts love. New roots are good and a promising sign.

• claritamaria
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks Clint. Happy to know I am doing all right by it. Not my plant so I want to be careful with it. Hauserman's Holiday x-mas is the name. Has 2 new leeds and it is HUGE.

Clara

• arthurm
    17 years ago

The correct name is Blc. Hausermann's Holiday 'X-mas' and i cannot verify the x-mas bit which is the clone name.
    It was registered in 1985 and since then breeders have made efforts to restrict plant size of standard (large flowered Cattleyas)
    Haven't a clue about lights, but a slight red tinge appears on the leaves of some when they are happy.
    you need to read some detailed "Cattleya" notes. Mine are in the link, but they are written for here where the climate is a bit like parts of California, so you have to read and interpret.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cattleya notes for Sydney, Australia

• jane__ny
    17 years ago

Very good notes Arthur. Simple and to the point. Good reference for beginners and intermediate growers. Some of your points are really not addressed in basic books for beginners. eg. Catts do better in cooler conditions with a fairly wide temp difference.
    I have found that they can become stressed when grown too warm. I have several large BLC's which do better in lower light and cooler conditons. I plan to keep them in a screened porch room this summer with very bright conditons, and only morning sun. I have also found that root growth is much improved growing in plastic pots vs. clay.

Thanks again for your informative post,

Jane

Jane

• arthurm
    17 years ago

Thanks Jane, it took me a while to wake up to the fact that many "Cattleyas" do not need high temps all year to do well.

Clara, when you say the orchid is a giant exactly how tall are the pseudobulbs.
    I tried to backtrack on the breeding but it is a laborious process without Wildcat software.

• claritamaria
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks to all! Couple of questions, couple of answers and some background on this long term but temporary acquisition.

Interested in the growth process cycle and lineage. Also the hybrid benefits, differences from the parent species, the "why" was this hybrid invented?". I cannot consider growing big catt types. I'm primarily a species gal; prefeing fussy little cloud forest types. ;-) to Arthur. I have an interesting opportunity with BLC. This is BLC's 2nd visit to me. I think he likes me or maybe he is just using me for my better conditions!

This orchid was received in bloom by it's owner in Dec. At least a dozen blooms. Last bloom droppped in ~ mid Mar. It initially came to me in underlight- over watered condition, moderate root rot, fungus; treated. Common for the source of this plant. Consistently muddy medium from the retailer. I'll leave it there. Some of the canes were snipped off (Owner not retailer). Stabilized & greened him up but he was returned to the lesser conditions. Managed to squeeze out 1 final, late bud for the return. Owner does not have conditions to rebloom but great conditions to maintain blooms. Let's be honest, its a space hog & not very attractive out of bloom. When it buds, It will be returned again.

Moderate- heavy mist damage to some leaves. I also cut it, no choice. Potted up a couple of very rotted, damaged rootless canes seperately. The cutting has a new PB/leaf too, very pink to red/violet. (an experiment in light and recovery possibilities, rather than tossing the piece to the dust bin)

Now that I have opened this discussion, I have put my eye closer to BLC. No sign of new growth from the unharmed PB's ....yet. Leaves & PB's are a bit shriveled and leathery, I assume from the earlier root loss? Mainly the oldest roots were lost. Tried to cut the only the minimum. Again assuming that any root loss can cause the plant to desiccate. Not sure if there was sufficient root loss to cause this or if it was a combination of issues. Not over-watering as a remedy. I recall the advise of giving best light and normal watering as the remedy.

Not wondering if BLC needs or takes a rest now or he should have taken a rest last month? If so what would be "normal watering" and cultural recommendations at this point? New growths (3 total) have come only from the damaged areas. Fascinating repair but may be misleading me? If BLC should be having his rest, how should I care for him? He is at mid- upper 70's day, never over 80F and 60-65ºF nights, good RH. I do not mist.

Clint mentioned the wet /dry cycle which is noticeably more rapid as the weather is warming. Concerned about over- watering a plant that could be in rest and some distress. But then again, more light/ heat more water. It gets somewhat confusing at this time of year, if you can see my point. Advise please? Slow it down? Maintain it?

Leaves/PB's grow in numerous directions. It came to me the 1st time hooped in plastic pot and could not remain upright. Its one reason why I chose to basket with bark mix and a tiny bit of spag mixed in. The owner has a very heavy watering arm. Can't get him to relinquish the misting bottle. Jane I can see the advantages of plastic.

Arthur the larger PB's average 20 cm (8") from bark to beginning of leaf. A few ~8cms (3-4"). Leaves average 25cm's (~10") no matter the height of the PB; some curling and twisting profusely. It appears almost vineous; one continous connected series of PB's that span ~ 24cms (9.5~). I have it potted on the diagonal. I don't grow plants of this size, so for an indoor grower like me, mammoth!

I know that I have many questions in this post, but I think we can agree that everyone has had this kind of oopsie at one time in their growing history or has purchased a plant they could not possibly maintain in their conditions.

Clara
    (pumping up the bicep BLC style)

• jane__ny
    17 years ago

Clara, you are zone 5, what State? Plant sounds like it's recovering and doing okay. The new growths are probably from the last growths. If they had been damaged, then the older pbulbs could be triggered to sending out growths. The wrinkled state sounds normal and the older growths are supporting the newer. I'm not sure if I'm understanding your explanation. Are the new growths sending out roots? Can you post a photo?

I would treat the plant normally, lots of light, water when almost dry. I would fertilize if it's making growth.

You have a large, mature plant. It can handle lots of abuse and if you lose a few pbulbs, don't worry. Just concentrate on the growth. The fact that it sent up 3 new growths suggests the plant is in better shape than it appears to you.

Jane

• arthurm
    17 years ago

Clara, The "B" can come from several sources...
    B. digbyana
    B. nodosa
    B. glauca
    Sounds like it is probably from B. digbyana. In any case you have a normal sized standard type Cattleya hybrid. Is a bit annoying that they can be a bit untidy so i go around my collection several times a year and stake and tie.

The plant should be actively growing now that it is nearly summer there and with luck it should flower late autumn or winter.

Not much of a giant. There is a picture of some giants at the end of the long series of post about brown roots on a Phal.

• claritamaria
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks Jane and Arthur. My camera broke last week. Should be back at week's end. I have tons of flowering about to occur and NO CAMERA!!! I know, my post may be hard to understand sans photo. Thanks for trying to understand.

Jane I am in Chicago. Winter light was mainly artificial. New growth is from the cut areas only. 1 new growth is on the cutting (the 2 rotted canes that I removed and potted up). 2 on the mother plant.

When does this plant rest or does it? or is it? It's an awful lot of real estate for a 1x per year bloomer.

Some of the new growth has gorgeous roots, big white ones. The others I can't see. I suppose they do, I'll have to dig around tonight.

The plant overall has shriveling, canes and bulbs, near the cuts and not near the cuts. What is the approximate age of this plant?

I have it staked up too Arthur. It's like deep sea fishing, fights back! I also think it is from B. Digyana. I have a B. Dig. The flowers have a resemblance. Tell me, what the "L" does to this mix please? Difference between BC and BLC?

I'll have to admit, I am fascinated by this plant. I am thrilled to have the opportunity to observe it but glad I don't own it if it grows larger. Just as Howard converted me to light, Arthur is converting me to have an interest in Phals and hybrids! Arthur, MY LORD!!! Those are positively gigantic to my eyes!
    Once again thank you

Clara

• komi
    17 years ago

There are a dozen species in the background.

Approx 16% each of C trianae, C mossiae and C warscewiczii.

2.73% of C lueddemanniana

About 1-1.5% each of B digbyana, C percivaliana, C schilleriana

and less than 1% of C bicolor, C eldorado, C lawrenceana, C gaskellina and L tenebrosa.

The most recent species parent was 4 generations ago.

Digby got into the mix about 9 generations ago.

The clone 'Christmas' got an AM/AOS - 80 points, in 1990, exhibited by Hausermann's.

• arthurm
    17 years ago

Thanks Komi for the breakdown. Would have taken eons to backtrack via RHS
    Clara, That wasn't the end of the list of "B's" there are others, plus numerous species of Laelia and Cattleya.
    What's in the plant is probably only important if the species infusion is recent.
    Most of the orchids in the foreground of the picture are three to four foot high and are only for those people not space challenged. Also not recommended for under light growers.
    Now for the rest. The rest here just consists of sticking them in the shadehouse over what passes for winter. There they will get lots of sunlight, reduced watering, low humidity most days and most will begin to grow late August. The rest for under light growers must be a pain. Of course, i have no idea what happens with no rest, perhaps they will just adapt.

• claritamaria
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Again thank you. Its quite interesting. Arthur if I am thinking properly about hemispheres, the plant needs to have a rest now? This plant blooms in winter (Dec) in z-5. Just want to be clear about this as there is no growth occuring, only the "mending" growth from the cutting.

Now you may see that for an indoor grower having a large house guest is a rare opprtunity. I am not sure how someone would grow these "smaller ones" on a full time basis under lights.

Jane do you grow these in the window? I recall seeing your layout in a photo you posted. It has to be the only way to do it indoors and may account for the lineage.

Clara

• jane__ny
    17 years ago

Clara, what do you mean by 'mending growth??' Your hybrid is making growth which should flower this winter. I'm very 'dense' and am sure I'm missing what you are trying to describe. This plant is not resting. I've never had a Catt 'rest' at this time of the year. This is the time of growth leading to flowers.
    My BLC's flower 2x a year. My growths stared in Dec/Jan and are maturing now and starting sheaths. They really don't rest, but take a short break and start sending up growths again. If there are growths making roots, that's your flowers for winter. Please don't withhold water or fertilizer now.

I will try to dig up some photos from last winter to show you how miserably ungainly they are. They send out multiple growths from all different directions making them difficult to repot. I grow them in the windows until Jan. and then add lights. I use the lights and whatever window light available until spring to support the new growths which started in Dec/Jan. They will be my June/July flowers.
    Then they start up again in Aug/Sept and flower in Nov/Dec.
    I find my BlC's do not do well in hot temps or in full sun. Their leaves burn easily and they become stressed. Their leaves turn lemon yellow and I pull back on the light.

Please excuse me if I am missing your point. Arthur obviously got it, but I'm not sure what you are describing. Try to post a pic.

Jane

• jane__ny
    17 years ago

Here's Blc. Plumb Island 'Newberry' HCC/AOS in Nov. 06. You can see how I have it tied up, but it still hangs all over the place. This was a poor year for this plant. It got black rot over summer on some growths which I removed. It's usually covered with flowers. Great plant except for it's shape and size.
    If you notice the octopus light behind it. I drag out 8 of those in Dec and grow everthing under them until Apr. They do a decent job.

{{gwi:153995}}