SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mehitabel_gw

Oh, those warm *nights*

mehitabel
15 years ago

I've had my phals outside on the deck on carts since April. In April and May, they were rolled outside in the mornings and inside again as the afternoon cooled off (or the sun went down). It was plenty warm in the sunshine (temp on the carts got over 100F, and they needed shade. But as the sun went down, they had to come in.

In June, they were able to stay outside at night, with nights above 60. Now, we've had a run of hot weather with *warm* nights (72-73F)

I gotta tellya, those plants know the different between nights of 65 and nights of 72. The rate of growth has more than doubled over the last few weeks.

It's *rampaging* growth-- I bet they eat flies when I'm not watching. That's contrasted with the stately, measured, slower growth of April and May.

I've noticed it before with all sorts of tropicals-- they get those warm nights and they get going. Warm loving orchids seem to follow the same driver.

If you live in the warm humid part of the country, get your babies outside into the warm nights and watch them roar.

Comments (3)