SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
savtaj

local summer meeting with photos

15 years ago

The summer meeting of the Israel Orchid Society was held yesterday in a neighbouring garden centre:

{{gwi:175182}}

The atmosphere was festive, but very informal. There were 8 stands operated by members who were halfway between hobbyist and commercial. Lots and lots of orchids for sale!

There was no judging at this session, but some orchids were there for display purposes only. The highlight were these three vandas:

{{gwi:175185}}

The flowers on each plant were at least 3 inches in diameter! The owner is a well-known public figure who has been growing orchids for 30 years. Here's a closeup of the blue vanda:

{{gwi:175187}}

And a photo of a stand of phals.

{{gwi:175189}}

There was also nourishment for the body as well as the soul. Afterwards we were given a guided tour by the owner of the garden nursery, with emphasis on how to adapt plants that he stocks for his local clientele (Jerusalem hills area) for the coastal climate (isn't this what we all do with our orchids????)

Thank goodness I didn't have too much cash with me, or I would have ended up with much more than I could handle. As it was, I came home with three new babies: Den. Nobile, a den. hybrid (Den. Jaquelyn Thomas 'Blue Hawaii x Den. 'Blue Twinkle') and a catt hybrid(Blc.Empress Worsley "Roman Holiday") This last one has a spike with two buds that should be opening within the next few days. I'll post a photo if and when. I even found some people I knew. All in all, a very happy and successful event.

Judy

Comments (6)

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm