SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fairy_toadmother

things that move that shouldn't

fairy_toadmother
17 years ago

mary, hope you don't mind my copying your reply here...this is from another post so that i do not hijack the thread :)

someone is trying to move into my romeo's sleeping box in the shed. but my reason for posting is quite hilarious- he went to investigate why my 15 some pound bag of composted manure was moving. i am standing at the back door and hear "SQUEEK!" i wish i saw it, but alas i had only my tshirt and undies on and it was still daylight. hey, i work midnights, ok? :) i had a mental picture of it jumping in the air and squeaking at the same time.

the big oaf ran out of the shed, belly to the ground, and wanted back in the house. that surprised me. my old man at romeo's age would have had his whiskers twitching in anticipation.

so, my mystery continues....though maybe in the process we have discouraged our visitor. i also took the top off his sleeping box to make it less inviting. i have found no rear projectiles. i am also considering leaving the feeders empty for awhile. i would hate to do that.

just sharing a story. i didn't want to start a thread just for it. it almost applies.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted by maryo_nh z5 SouthernNH (My Page) on Tue, Sep 19, 06 at 7:57

The 15 lb bag was moving? Heehee... the poor kitty. It must have gotten the fright of its life.

When I was planting something last spring next to the bird bath, and I leaned on the ground with one hand to firm up the soil with the other, the ground moved. It was a very strange feeling. I dug after it but I wasn't fast enough... Nothing squeeked though.

There is a chipmunk-sized hole right there in the flower bed now.

:) Mary

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted by fairy_toadmother z5 ncentral il (My Page) on Tue, Sep 19, 06 at 9:37

hi mary. yes, it was moving...my theory is this "rat" was tugging on the other end trying to tear off a piece. there was a large piece already torn off in romeo's snuggle box. oph, that was after i put on some shorts :)

dh asked if it was a possum. i said, possums don't squeak. and, it was louder than any mouse.

oops, guess i should have started a "things that move that shouldn't thread." maybe i will, i have another story.

on that note, one spring i was doing clean up where i used to live. i had this small sized flat you buy annuals in lying there. i dumped the soil out of it and it started to come alive, erupt from below even! did that freak me out. it turned out to be a toad snuggled into that tiny cell. i never realized until then how much they blend in color with the dirt. good thing toads are well mannered, being woke up in the cold moring from a deep sleep!

Comments (17)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting