SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
orchidophiliac

Help me save my adopted Dens!

orchidophiliac
16 years ago

Hi there,

I'm very, very new to orchids. About three years ago I killed my dad's blooming orchids by planting them in soil because I thought they needed more nourishment. Of course, I was so wrong...

Since then, I've done my research and am much better with orchids.

I had two mini dens to start off and the older one, I've had for about six months now is going to rebloom. It has a new 3" spike and two small leaves or plants coming up from the crown.

I recently purchased five more orchids from a local grower here in Singapore, all with a few flowers and lots of buds. They are, 1. Aranda Chark Kuan Blue Horizon, 2. Den Jade, 3. Oncidium Sharry Baby, 4. Miltassia Aztec and 5. a dull purple Den. They seem pretty happy right now.

I also just adopted two Dens from my aunt who couldn't care for them anymore. One's a Mother Theresa and the other she couldn't remember.

They used to be big and avid bloomers. Now, they're really sad and droopy. The roots were a mess and most brown and mushy. I cleaned that right up and put them in smaller unglazed ceramic "Orchid" pots, the ones with lots of holes and slits.

Now my question is, should I water them and fertilize them as often as I do my other orchids?

I water my other orchids once a day early in the morning. I pour about half a litre of water into each pot and lightly mist my orchids. I also fertilize once a week weakly alternating between growth and bloom fertilizers recommended by the orchid grower.

(Its very hot here all year round between 26C - 30C and I only use charcoal as my potting media. Nothing else. My orchids are also outside my flat facing south but shaded. So the pots usually dry out come morning)

Any suggestions to get these beauties back into shape?

Comments (7)

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus