SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
orchidnick

A simple float valve for a RO system.

orchidnick
12 years ago

I have 2 x 40 gallon 'Tough Stuff' garbage cans which hold my RO water. I'm going to expand to three. While redoing the system I decided to replace the solenoid shut off valve I have with a float valve. The solenoid is getting old and was acting weird. Replacement is about $70 including all costs. Why not get a toilet like float valve to do the job? No electricity, no expensive parts from Granger, just a simple float such as we all have in our toilets which works perfectly well there to shut off the water when a certain level is reached.

Off to Home Depot, then a local plumbing shop, next Fergusen, a specialty plumbing shop, finally Granger, all dead ends, no luck. Every float valve has a threaded inlet but features a non-threaded outlet thus making it unsuitable to interrupt the 1/2' PVC pipe such as the one feeding my RO unit. You cannot plumb the outgoing water unless there are threads. The shut off has to be before the RO unit, not afterward.

After considerable bouncing around the internet, mostly banging my head against a wall, I found a valve company in Carlsbad, California, that has what I wanted.

http://www.appliedvalves.com/ (760-438-4840)

From them, I got a 1/2" Kerick Float Valve, Bulkhead Mount, PVC 0.25" Orifice. Item # PT050525. It is the Golden Grail of Float Valves as it has threads going in and going out. It's made out of PVC, schedule 80. I also needed a Float Rod and a Float Ball, standard items everywhere. Total cost: $27.

This makes for an easy, home made, shut-off mechanism to regulate RO water production without electricity, solenoids and other stuff that cannot be dealt with as easily as a leaking toilet float valve. 1/2" PVC in and out, a simple way to solve the problem. Make a hole near the top of the can, the bulkhead inlet fixes it in place, it's a no-brainer. For me, it's not so much about saving $40 but having a simple, mechanical, easy to fix system rather than an electric solenoid.

Rube Goldberg triumphs again.

Nick

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals