SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
youreit

Any dove experts?

youreit
17 years ago

The bird, not the soap. :)

So, I've been hearing what I thought was a mourning dove in the neighborhood for the last week or so. I finally got a pic and movie of it on Tuesday. I showed DH, who said, "That's not a mourning dove! It's a band-tailed pigeon!"

Not as exciting for me, but, ok. So, I looked it up, and it's definitely NOT a BT pigeon. What I discovered is that it's either a ringed turtle dove or a Eurasian collared dove! Holy carp!

The only problem is that I can't figure out which one. From the descriptions I've found online, it really does appear to be an EC dove, but....at last count, they were back east (think Florida). However, it has been reported that they could very well be spotted out here eventually.

It's pretty big, most definitely bigger than a mourning dove, so that's my main basis for calling it an EC dove. It was cooing in the branches above my driveway after it landed on the cedar feeder and looked at the vittles like, "How do I get that goodness in me!?" Then, it got spooked by one of the MANY trucks going by hauling honeydews, and landed on the telephone wire. Let's just say that it doesn't have the best balance I've seen. LOL

I tried scattering some feed in the driveway, thinking it might prefer to hunt and peck at it that way. Nope. Then I saw it again yesterday, out by the pond on a fence post. He was looking around ("he" seems so lonely!), then he hunkered down, trying out the "no-neck" look. Very fetching. Then, a truck came by....

Sorry for the excited ramblings! I just don't know anyone else who would get so worked up about these things than you great people. :)

And here he is....

{{gwi:171816}}

Brenda

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting