SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jessie226

Orchid Newbie

jessie226
16 years ago

Hello everyone, I have always admired orchids but never owned one or really knew anything about them. When they were on sale at Home Depot a month ago, I decided to give it a shot. Turns out I aquired a Phalaenopsis orchid, and according the web, they are a fairly easy orchid to care for. The woman at the store happened to be an enthusiast and didn't hesitate to educate me on them. She said to keep it in the pot it comes in, but I could place that pot in a more decorative pot if I want to, as long as it was ventilated in the bottom, and I could then place both pots in a tray of water, but kept above the water with glass marbles or gravel. She said to never water or mist it, that it takes in moisure through the air and never through the substrate. So for the past month that I've had it, I have not watered it, just kept it elevated above it's tray of water which I check everyday. When I first brought it home it had three blooms and three buds, and one little teeny baby bud on the very tip. Since then, all buds have opened and it looks gorgeous, but the little teeny bud on the end has not grown at all. Is there anything I can do to keep the spike growing and blooming? Also, the woman told me never to cut the stalk, even if the blooms die, that it will grow more blooms from the same stalk. But everywhere online says that you should water them and never let the substrate get completely dry, and you should cut the stalk after the blooms have died. I could really use some clarification here :) I don't have a pic of it yet, I'm at work, but I can take some pics later and post them this evening. In the meantime, any help would be appreciated.

Oh also, My house is about 60-65 degrees at night and 70-75 degrees during the day, the plant is across the room (About 15 feet away) from a north-facing window and I have it placed next to our 40 gallon tropical fish tank. I thought the indirect artificial light would be good for it as well as the extra humidity.

Ok well I think this is long enough ;) Thanks for any advise you can give me! Cheers!

Comments (18)