SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
orchidnick

Moss vs bark

orchidnick
10 years ago

In the last 6 month I have purchased Masdevallias from CalOrchids, Santa Barbara Orchid Estates and Hawk Hills. All came to me in bark. What ever happened to sphagnum moss for Masdies?

I have always grown Masdies in moss and am reasonable happy with the results. Some could have developed a better root system but basically are doing well. Some of the plants at the 3 vendors mentioned on the other hand, are doing better. John Leathers at Hawk Hills has switched most of his plants. I watched him do it as he divided some for me, split a large plant growing in moss, teased out the moss and potted both in bark handing me one and keeping the other one.

To him the key for the switch is the new bark, Orchidea, which is vastly superior to the conventional pine bark we have had to use for the last 10 years. It will retain it's shape for up to 5 years and fails to become a mushy mess in moist conditions. Masdies like it moist, hence the SM but they also like air around the roots like any orchids. In the new bark, you can water them as often as is necessary without creating the mush which is deadly.

At HH they add lava rock (1/4 to 1/3) for moisture retention, I used perlite, aprox 1/3, and switched my Masdies over the last couple of days. I will water the same, every 2 or 3 days, plants should be moist enough without getting soggy as some of them did in moss.

This represents a major move on my part, I'll keep a close eye on them and see how they do over the course of a year. Small seedlings remain in moss. The Orchidea is more than twice as expensive than conventional bark but SM isn't cheap either. When watered frequently, moss becomes evil after 1 to 1 1/2 years and needs to be replaced which can become a pain. This bark, if the plants like it , will last much longer.

Nick

Comments (7)