SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
calliope_gw

Do you Remember?

calliope
14 years ago

The early days of the GW when we often posted threads with silly questions, just to learn more about each other? I was telling my husband about my very first place when I moved out of my parent's home and got married the first time.

It was mid-sixties and I had just dropped out of school and taken a job as hubby finished off the last two years for his degree. He worked part-time for an elderly lady who owned an apartment building by maintaining it. That meant everything from spraying for cucarachas to handing out eviction notices. It included 'the apartment' as part of his meager salary. It had always been occupied by a student who did this and since it was primarily an all-male college, I was the first female to ever live in the tree house.

It was probably sixteen by thirty feet, if that large. Sat up atop a long open garage for the tenants and the windows looked out into the trees of the frat house next door. For entertainment you could sit at the window and listen to their stereos booming or watch their blue movies. We had a tiny kitchen, equally tiny living room and two bedrooms. There was no bathroom. If you wanted to do anything remotely resembling bathing or go to the toilet, you had to go down the outside steps, cross the drive to the apartment building and go down to the super's loo in the basement. I remember it being a very nice bath, but you sure had to travel to get to it, and it was just one step up from the outhouse at the farm. LOL. One didn't drink much toward evening in winter unless you wanted to trudge through snow in the middle of the night in your skivvies.

It came furnished. Whoooey. Plastic curtains, a couch and a chair, two beds, a kitchen table and two chairs and an oil burning heater you could take down in the summer if you wanted to make your living room larger. You hung a plate over the hole in the wall where the stove pipe led to the chimney.

We lived there two years, and they were fun years. I had my first child living there, and it was winter. The diapers froze in the soaking pail if the fire went out. It was the gathering place for making music when our student friends needed a home away from home, and I made and dished out a lot of meals to the same guys who were always a little short of cash for food.

We had a squirrel who liked to come in and explore, so we left the living room window open and put a plank from it to the tree so the squirrel could get in more easily. It was then I found out that shutting the window to keep him in was not a good idea. Trapped squirrels are scary and they have yellow teeth.

Our only phone was a party line, paid for by the owner, so we had to use discretion making calls, in case she wanted to reach us. And what got me laughing was as I was describing it to my present hubby, I made the comment how that place seemed like a mansion to us.

What was your first place like when you left your parent's home? Do kids nowadays experience the same adventures, or do they expect all the comforts of home?

Comments (6)

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County
More Discussions