SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ademink_gw

Sister Having Surgery Tomorrow

ademink
17 years ago

Well, though I normally post weird and gross stuff...LOL...this is actually a serious post! Some of this is a tiny bit graphic so don't read if you're a puker. ;)

I have a younger sister named Kristin who is a severe epileptic (34 y/o). Tomorrow morning at 5:30, she'll be going in for brain surgery.

They are going to implant an electromagnetic device into her chest, run wires up her neck, drill holes in her skull and implant wires into her brain. The device emits electromagnetic impulses and the hope is that it will minimize her seizure activity. They have used a very similar device w/ Parkinson's patients and had good success.

She is part of a clinical trial and so we won't know for the next 6 months if her device is on or not. This is to do the whole placebo thing. At the time when we DO know it is on and it can be adjusted, we'll see if it makes a difference.

She has been on heavy duty medication for many, many years (head injury at 4 caused the seizuring due to scar tissue forming/growing on her brain). The medications just aren't cutting it any more and there are really none left for her to try.

Anyway, please remember Kristin in your prayers throughout the day tomorrow. The whole procedure will be around 12 hours so we are talking a pretty big deal. She is really upset b/c they also have to shave her head...gorgeous waist length hair. Even though the surgery is very serious, she is most upset about her hair...you know how that goes. :) Being the doll that she is, it is being donated to Locks of Love. :)

Anyway, I will keep you posted as I get a chance and appreciate your prayers!

Thanks,

Andrea

Comments (34)