SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ddlaz_gw

Newly seeded lawn - sparse growth

ddlaz
9 years ago

Hey all. I renovated 4000 sqft of my backyard lawn and seeded on Aug 23rd.
I read a lot and ended up following the renovation steps according to the U of M's extension website except the starter fertilizer.
I read that unless you till in the fertilizer well in advance, you'll burn the seedlings. So i'm opting to fertilize after the grass is in.
I seeded with the premium sunny mix from JRK at 6 lbs/1000 sq ft using a broadcast spreader. I then went around and lightly raked the seed in a bit to be covered by soil. Rolled with 1/3 water filled. Watered each zone.

The seed mix is - o Common Kentucky Bluegrass
o Creeping Red Fescue
o Perennial Ryegrass

Issues:
Rainfall the next evening that washed seeds to the far corners of my lot. There is a steep bare slope in my backyard leading to the seeded area and the rain left a trail of sand and no seed to be seen. I know i'll have to reseed that area, and have sodded the slope since. Runoff is minimal now.
Grass is growing vary sparsely right now. Some areas more than others, i'm thinking due to runoff. I can see a seedling here and there in the sparse areas but it definitely isn't growing in thick like the areas where seed collected.
I'm assuming that this early growth is from the ryegrass having such a quick germination time, and i'm crossing my fingers that the bluegrass will fill in those sparse areas. Would it? I would think that the bluegrass seed will probably be settled into the same areas that the ryegrass seed landed.

In any case, when can I reseed the bare spots? Should I wait until after the first mow, or lack thereof, before reseeding? I know I don't want to step on the seedlings but winter is getting closer and closer.
When I do reseed, should I rake the new seed in? roll? topdress with soil?

Comments (11)