SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annafl_gw

Are these assassin bugs?

annafl
18 years ago

I have these all over my cherry tomatoes. I initially thought maybe they were wheel bugs, a type of assassin bug. However, my understanding is that these are beneficial insects that prey on more destructive pests.

Lately, I've been seeing these bugs aggregated right on the tomatoes and sticking their proboscis right into the tomatoes. The tomatoes shrivel up like prunes and many fall off. The yield has been minimal over the last 10 days, and before, was very generous.

I don't want to kill them if they're good bugs, but now I'm thinking they must not be. I am also frightened of them stinging me since there are so many of them, the adults fly, and I've heard the sting is very painful.

They start out as shiny red, double or triple segmented insects with spindly black legs, go through several different morphs, and the adults are brown-black with a little red on the hind segment.

Please help me figure out what they are. This first photo is of a red nymph and an adult. {{gwi:151160}} This is a side view of an intermediate morph with a protuberance on the back {{gwi:151161}} This one is a pair of intermediate morphs from the top {{gwi:151162}}

Comments (18)