SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
reginak_gw

Weedy brick patio & gravel driveway

reginak
13 years ago

Hi, all. I've been away from GW for a long time, but this is the place I thought of when I had a gardening question!

I am living on a 4-acre wannabe farmette.... Big old weed patch, really, nothing very productive happening. In lieu of rent I am supposed to be trying to help her to get this place cleaned up and productive. She's organic, though no longer certified.

So my question: the gravel driveway and brick patio are both overgrown with weeds (as is the rest of the place, but other spots can be dug up or tilled or smothered). Going around trying to pull them all up by hand is exactly the kind of thing I am trying to break her of -- she can never keep up, and it distracts her attention away from tasks that do more to get her closer to her ultimate goal. Like putting the seedlings she so lovingly started and nurtured into the ground, you know, little details like that. (If I seem ignorant, yes, I'm not a hugely experienced gardener; what she needs me for is management expertise, not gardening expertise).

But what's the low-maintenance way to control weeds in that kind of hardscape? People I know in f2f life all jump at Round-Up, but no, even if she weren't trying to maintain strict organic practices I wouldn't use Round-Up in this situation. I understand that it is only safely metabolized and broken down into harmlessness where it directly hits the leafy surface of the plant, and that where it hits soil directly, or the hardscape, it stays poison and ends up getting into the water and mutating tadpoles and stuff. And the well is directly below the brick patio, too, so getting Round-Up in the water is even an extra no-no. And this whole area is wetlands. But I don't know what else to do!

No, wait ... I just thought of something. FIRE!! Yes? Take a torch to it? I don't mind weeding just the edges by hand, so to keep the fire in the brick and gravel, away from anything that could get out of control in this summer drought. What do you all think of fire? Or do you have other ideas?

Thank you!

Regina

Comments (14)