SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chambma_gw

Edging for Existing Gravel Driveway

chambma
16 years ago

Hello, everyone, I need some help with ideas for our gravel driveway. We moved into this house last year (1935 colonial). There is a circular drive in front as well as a section which leads from the right side of the circular drive back toward the garage, which is to the right of the house (not attached). So the driveway kind of makes a backward lowercase "h" shape.

We cannot afford to have it paved right now, so we need to stick with the gravel. However, there are several problems with it. There is an extremely weedy section near the garage, but the weeds are almost impossible to get out since you can't "dig" down into the gravel. We have small children and pets, and I try to be gentle on the environment, so I don't really want to use chemical weedkillers. Also, the driveway has no distinct edge to it, which looks messy and bothers me. Whenever I go to mow the lawn and I mow near the driveway, it kicks up a lot of dust. I thought about edging it with rocks or something, but I want something that, if someone backs over the edge, it's not going to cause any problems. I thought about brick, but am not sure how to handle the angles of the circular part.

Also, the driveway seems to consist of two separate kinds of stone. One looks kind of like crushed rock. The other is small round or oval pebbles, maybe 1/2" or 2/3". They're up near the garage and they do not work well at all since they move around so easily. I can't push the mower well over that area.

Any suggestions? In particular, for the edging.

Thanks much!

Comments (2)