SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bonz_gw

Sometimes Nature Sucks

bonz
17 years ago

I have a chain link fence that is thickly covered with ivy, a perfect place for bird nests so I thought. A Robin's nest was built close to where my hose is which I use every day. As Mom sat on the eggs, we exchanged pleasantries each morning and I was thrilled when the babies hatched. Those tiny bald little guys were so cute. I enjoyed watching their rapid growth and the busy parents feeding the always hungry babies. Yesterday I noticed dad was agitated, flying into the nest area sort of hovering but not going into the nest. I walked over to check it out and found two babies gone and the third one badly mangled & near death. After making the decision to end his suffering I walked back to the porch for a good cry contemplating how unfair things seem at times. But here is the strange thing that happened next. Both parents visited the empty nest and then flew up to a tree in my yard making strange bird calls. Within a few minutes there were a whole bunch of Robins in the tree, probably 10 or so. All doing the same strange bird calls. They all flew way after a few minutes. I told myelf they were having a memorial for the babies or a wake. I've never seen anything like this it was amazing. Maybe CD3 or any other bird person can tell me if what I witnessed is common.

I sure missed visiting with them this morning............

Comments (7)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!