SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chickadeedeedee

The Drowning Pool .... ALMOST!

chickadeedeedee
17 years ago

This afternoon I was sitting by the little koi pond and saw three young starlings checking out a pile of mulch near the veggie garden. One had a piece in his beak and the other two were trying to take it from him. Then decided to investigate a wading pool we have for the dogs to splash around in and were perched on the edge of the pool.

A grackle flew near and then too went to the edge of the wading pool with a piece of bread. The three youngsters were excited that there was food of a non-mulch type and started to beg the grackle for the bread. The grackle would have none of their foolishness and flew off.

As he did, it startled the starlings and one fell into the pool! The starling is not a good swimmer and although he tried he was not able to get out. I got up and came to the rescue. The poor thing! He was as soaked as soaked could be.

I held him as I tipped the pool over to drain out most of the water. No one is going to drown in that pool! So I brought home the little one, warmed him up and dried him off with the hair dryer. As I did so I lectured him on water safety and that he needs to be more careful in future and to warn his friends of his experiences.

(Now I see the Readership has dropped off because they now are certain that I am a loony! ((She's talking to a Starling!)))

(Yep...That is about as exciting as it can get here. LOL!!!) We have had a wading pool every summer forever and have NEVER had a bird fall in and drown! Yesterday one of the dogs, Daisy, brought home a drowned young grackle. I assumed it had fallen into the wildlife pond, although there are many branches and pieces of driftwood and stones to act as escape routes should someone fall into the water. Now I am thinking that perhaps the grackle drowned in the dog pool? So please, if you have a wading pool, be aware that there may be an accidental drowning if unattended or if the water level is too high. C3D

Comments (8)