SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elizabethk1

Orchids are now summering outside --how much sun is too much?

I have slowly moved some Catts and Dendrobiums onto my deck. I started them in full shade and then slowly moved them into full sun. The Catts are in a place where they are getting full-direct morning sun, until about 11 am or noon. They look fine. Can they take more sun? My deck is positioned so that if I want, they can receive full sun for 10 hours. The Dendrobiums are in a spot on the deck where they are getting about 8 hours of full-direct sun (or even more hours). I don't think they are happy. At first, the tips of the leaves got red (which I understand signifies that they are at the upper limit), but now the oldest leaves are getting yellow and mushy! Is this from too much sun? Last week, the temps. did dip into the 40's for a few hours at night. I did not take them in. Is this why they are getting yellow? I really need to know what to do to make this a better situation. How much sun do they need to bloom? Also, I have 4 vandas out there. I thought they could not get enough sun, but they are looking yellow (older leaves), too. How much direct sun should they get? I guess I will also mention some Onc. I have out there, too. One was getting about 7 hrs of direct sun and looked unhappy, so I moved it and it now gets about 4-5 hours. Is this good? What about Cymbidium--I have one out there too. I am really hoping for some good blooms this year and want to do this right! Thanks. Liz

Comments (6)