SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mohkia

Best orchids for zone 9a?

Mohkia
10 years ago

First off, I just wanted to say hello. I am new to orchids and am in the process of learning. I am lucky to have a job working in a place that specialized in tropical plants and orchids so I have access to all kinds of wonderful plants to try. I have learned so much already about how to care for them and between work and my own personal research I feel I am ready to take the plunge. I have recently collected quite a few phals, a dendrobium, a miltonia (or miltoniopsis, not sure which it is yet)a Maxillaria and an odontoglosom. Besides the odontoglosom these were all rescues.

I try and keep my apartment under 80 degree's and I mist the area's the plants are in 2 or 3 times a day. So far so good with everything except one of the miltonia's I overwatered and it rotted. Anyways, enough of my rambling, I am wondering if anyone could suggest species of orchids that would do well in zone 9a. I am sure I'm going to loose the cool growers this summer and I don't want to make that mistake again. We get long hot summers that range from high 70's to low 100's. And winters are cool and wet with frosts possible for a few months at night. Any suggestions would be great! Sorry for the long post. :)

Comments (5)