SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aerides

Enough Light for What?

12 years ago

I am considering buying a house, the back of which faces west-northwest. If I get the house, I'll build a second story deck for orchids. I've been there in the afternoon. It's a lovely afternoon light for people, but would it good enough "cattleya light" along the outer edge? I don't think there will be a southwest facing edge because that will hook up to an existing screened in porch. On the other hand, orchid people would probably scoff at insisting on keeping such a porch that couldn't be shared with orchids !

Winter plans would be to set up large artificial light growing areas in the built-in garage. Heaven forfend I should use it for a car!

The only other option for this house for orchids would be to clear some heavy woods (and boulders) in back and build a greenhouse. I know zip about setting up a greenhouse but I'm excited by the prospect. Once the structure is built, I suppose keeping it heated in the winter wouldn't be so much more expensive than running several HID lights in the garage(?)

Thanks for comments.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor