SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
prairiemoon2

Anyone have experience with fungus on top of mulch?

Hi,

Here in New England we have had over 25" of rain since May 1st. Although I don't live in an area that had flooding, still that is a lot of rain. Plus a lack of sun. My plants seem a little behind in some things, especially the heat lovers like peppers, basil, lavender. The sun has come out once in awhile to dry things out some, but then right back to rain. We just had three days of sun in a row and that was a big thing. Everything was drying out nicely and responding to the sun, then I started noticing these areas on the bark mulch that at first look like a dog vomitted, but I read on another forum, that it was a fungus. It rained again today briefly, but has been cloudy, in the 90s and humid all day. Now I see two more of these fungus plus what I think is a new one, that is different then the others...it looks like someone threw bright orange pieces of salt, sand, something small like that in a scattered pattern over an area on the surface of the mulch in a partly shady location.

I don't understand why they started sprouting with the sun coming out finally, first of all. Secondly, I don't know what to do with them. I wonder if they are unhealthy to people or animals, if I should attempt to remove them and throw in the garbage, or just cover them over with more cardboard and bark mulch. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

:-)

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths