SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thymewilltell

yellow leaves, stunted growth -- can compost be at fault?

thymewilltell
15 years ago

I ordered 4 yards of organic leaf mold from a local garden center and mixed it all in with my usual and several new garden beds this year, hoping to boost the soil enough to grow much of our own food.

now, two months later, many of those plants are the same size they were the day I planted them, many (including things like milkweed and hostas that in previous years have grown just fine in these spots) have yellow edges or yellow leaves, and I'm at a loss as to how to salvage our garden.

I'm going to dig up some soil and send out for a soil test, but has anyone had this problem before? A friend who stopped by last night to find me moaning in the garden looked at the rest of the compost where it had been dumped on the lawn (nothing growing in there, either) and suggested that it might not be "finished" since you can see some stems, petioles, etc in the compost. If that's the case, he suggested, in finishing it's decomposition the compost might be locking the nutrients away from the other plants. Or changing the acidity of the soil to lock them up.

that's one guess, and if that's the case or not, what can I do to salvage things around here? The garden center in town offered ironite, but I do try to do things organically, and from what I can read, there are some sketchy possible repercussions to using that product, so I don't want to go there.

can I put seaweed fertilizer on to feed them? what can I do until the soil test comes back?

thanks for any help

sioux

Comments (17)