SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
westoh

Let's try this again...

westoh Z6
15 years ago

Well after losing >160 orchids over the winter from a serious virus outbreak, associated disapointment and neglect, I've started to get back into the 'kids.

Of my 170+ orchids I had last Ocotber, I saved 7. 4 mini-vandiaceous types that were separated from my other orchids, a nice green and white paph that I had at the office and couple of cool growers that I had in another area. Anything that was in the grow room was eventually Kev'ed.

Anyhow, after March back surgery and some recovery I got the bug again last month. Ordered from Oak Hill and got the 10 seedling species special (asked for under-lights types), the 10 species/hybrids paph seedling special and also ordered 8 assorted phal species, again mostly seedlings. As you can see, I've tried to stick with smaller (well smaller than large Oncs and Catts) indoor capable orchids. Got a few large growers in the seedling species special, but it'll be fun to grow them for a while anyhow.

With the lack of orchids I was able to completely clean the grow room, light carts and orchidarium/terrarium. Reduced lights (turned off 5-85watt CFLs, 1-55 watter and am only using 1 or the 3 tiers of my light cart for orchids (currently growing wave petunias, zinnias and marigolds on the other 2 levels). Was also able to give a smaller light cart away to SIL. Thus it should be a little cheaper to cool the house this summer also.

Feels kind of good to be back to a more 'simplistic' approach with the orchids, less watering time, no real worries with mounties any longer, everything now has ample room, did I mention much less watering time!!! We'll see how long I can stay at around 30-40 'em.

Good to be back...

Bob

Comments (7)