SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
calliope_gw

Update on Your Garden World

calliope
15 years ago

I'm calling it that, because when one goes into their gardens, they do go into a different world, no? After the endlessly long, cold spring Mother Nature waved her wand over our valley and glorious, warm late spring just happened.

I try to get out just a little each day, away from the greenhouses to see it unfold just as it does each spring......although not always on the same schedule, nor in the same sequence.

The Montmorency cherry trees are ripening now, and I am waiting for the catbirds to come harvest them like they ALWAYS do right as the fruits are turning from rosy to red. A couple more days, and I can pick, so they'd better hurry up.

Last night I walked up along the line where the old pasture turns into woods and brambles. I looked up just in time to see a large rectangular head pop up out of the ground and we locked eyes, both of us stopping motionless. It was a groundhog, whose holes I'd admired for a long time. You could almost drive a Volkswagon down them. I've seen aristolochia swallowtail flitting around the vines lately, and sure enough, there are fresh baby cats now chowing down. The are in bloom now and the little pipes dangling from the vines are reason enough to have one.

I've been seeing a resident Baltimore oriole lately, but yesterday saw an orchard oriole where else but in my little orchard. I'm finally finding some time to slip some flowers in my own beds and there are so many of them, it's no small project. This year we are going cool and crisp with lot of violets, purples and whites with a touch of pink and salmon here and there.

The oriental poppies are fading now, and the Siberian and Spuria iris are kicking in. The moon is on the wax now and one night very soon should be a dandy time for a long midnight walk. {{gwi:168877}}

The warm, moist air is just heavy and heavenly with the fragrance of wild honeysuckle. Many of the birds are tending their fledglings. I've not seen any downed nests from the storms, so they must have all built well this year. Our pond is home to a bullfrog this year, as well as the usual population and although each time he sounds off, it startles me, I can almost imagine that noise being integrated into a symphony.

Can we walk through your garden?

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus
More Discussions