SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tjg911

kentucky wonder pole beans are a japanese beetle trap crop (of)

TJG911
18 years ago

i am growing 4 different varieties of pole beans this season. 3 varieties are unnamed open pollinated and the 4th variety is kentucky wonder. of the 3 op varieties, 1 i have grown for many years and the other 2 are new this year. i was really expecting great things from kentucky wonder and i had hoped that it would be the best of the 4.

i have not picked any ky wonder beans and the plants are growing double the rate of the other 3 varieties. that said, i will never grow ky wonder again because it is a japanese beetle trap crop! the jb are just on the ky wonders and ignoring the other 3 varieties that are all planted in the same area!

to me this shows this hybrid has a serious flaw since it is so attractive to the jb. i suppose this is of no concern to someone who'll use chemical pesticides but i don't and the damage is rather amazing. it's too bad that in the course of creating hybrids with enhanced traits that unexpected problems are also created. they should include a bottle of sevin with each package of kentucky wonder pole beans seeds sold!

is it just in my garden or do others have this jb problem with ky wonder?

tom

Comments (6)