SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
prairiemoon2

Idyll # 440 And I'm STILL in the Garden.....

Start over.... :-)

Comments (102)

• ctlavluvr
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Happy Monday and thanks for the encouraging comments.

Way to many hospital visits amongst Idylland of late. Thoughts for all involved.....

Yes, Kath, the lawn provides challenges. We had two choices when we moved in: decimate everything in sight and plant, plant, plant; Or, Decimate half of everything in sight and plant, plant, plant. Chosing the latter was tough for the "purist" gardener in me, but the realist knew that farm/country/carefree wouldn't work on the lot nor be true to the house, and more formal would require way too much daily labor to keep looking spicy. So, This is what we have.

Besides, the lawn has kept Rich mostly sane with its organic upkeep this year. Something to do that isn't a necessity is a truly important part of his life right now.

So good to hear about everyone and so good to know that support for just about anything is a click away no matter what.

Martie

• chelone
    14 years ago

V.'s pots look like bridesmaids! but without the awful dresses, lol. Nothing like some quality time with plant material to banish the awfice tension, is there? I share your caution with respect to chilly temperatures and annuals. It's cold here, too! The helpmeet is perpetually shocked at the number of people who think a few warm spring days mean it's fine to plant out tender annuals. Is that Fothergilla in your favorite white garden combination?

Michelle, that's pretty cool that they use the equivilent of "super glue" to close wounds. I have a friend who uses it to close cracks he gets on his fingers in the dryness of winter. And VERY cool that she's now swimming under water... one of the "tests" we used to give was to have the kid put his/her head under water and tell us how many finger we were holding out... no goggles because it was lake water and not chlorinated. I prefer to wear goggles whenever I'm in a pool, too. She's becoming quite a young lady now! I'm with you about not turning down muscle power. :)

Bruce and I played well together yesterday. "Delicate Chocolate Cake" turned out beautifully. I had it on the cooling racks by about 1PM. It was a hit with the birthday boy, who asked where his birthday present was. I replied that since he welched on MY birthday gift he was going without, too. "Oh yeah... I was going to do something for you, wasn't I?". Ummm... yeah. ;) Pork chops, asparagus, brown rice (for colo-rectal health), and Pinot Noir for dinner. Nothin' fancy, but tastey.

Martie, I had composed a post yesterday that vanished into ether but I was quick to mention how terrific the Park is looking this year. There really is no substitute for a few years worth of growth, is there? Your Jap. Maple is just gorgeous; I love the weeping form of those terrific trees and want one for the Compound. And I love the rose from seed... what a nice accomplishment. Cracked me up that Rich is picking up the "lingo", too. Isn't it great when the important people in our lives get "into" the things we enjoy, too?

I did clean the house yesterday, too, two-timing Bruce with Kirby. I was very thorough, too, because heaven only knows when we'll have another round of rainy weekend weather to inspire me. My JulieJob for the day included cleaning out the closet where Kirby lives. It was chockablock full of all manner of the helpmeet's tools, extension cords, assorted plumbing/gasline/electrical supplies, and left over vacuum bags from a long dead Kenmore unit! Felt really good to address it. My goal is to systematically work my way down the stairs and into the dreaded Board Room, which still lowers in the lower NW corner of our domicile, threatening to entrap anyone who enters...

Not quite sure exactly what I think about that Lily, Kathy... a little too gaudy for me is my gut reaction. ;)

I think I need to finish staking the peonies that have been growing visibly every day for the past week. And V.'s Poppy reminds me to get out and offer some support for Victoria Louise in the Sanitary Ridge bed. I've actually got some seedings from her, wonder if they'll be true to the warm, salmony-pink color of which I'm so fond? And there is plenty more to do, too.

Spencer had the first Chippie of the day this morning, within 15 minutes of going outdoors. He opened his mouth to mew at me, dropped the Chippie who fled, hurling himself off the deck and falling 10' to the ground below. I wonder if he'll live to gather acorns another day? (don't really care that much, however).

• Related Discussions

Idyll #357.5 - Still Marching to a New Beet

Q

Comments (101)
    What a busy place here this morning. Very enjoyable reading. This Idyll thread sometimes feels as though I am reading about ten books at once a little bit at a time. [g] Didn't want Jerri to feel lonely either..[g]. Woody...thanks for posting those pics of Misty and Copper. Misty is so cute! She reminds me of a dog in the movies, but I can't think of it's name. You know the first photo you showed of Copper, with nothing else in the photo, he didn't look that large. Next to the love seat and Misty...he looks huge! lol I always loved to see dogs play together. Especially a small dog with a larger dog. It is amazing that the large dog knows to be gentle most of the time and that the small dog is usually not too frightened. So when you say you foster, you have more than one dog in the house at one time. See when I heard of fostering, I thought you would take one dog at a time until they found a home and then another. It sounds like there are more dogs than foster homes and that they keep you busy! That is nice that you and Marie are near each other, but I can see it would take a special effort to get together. So GLAD you are feeling better! :-) Jerri...... flooring that is pet friendly...well...if accidents are expected, I am not really sure which is the best solution. Our last dog had epilepsy the last three years of his life and that caused a lot of accidents. I never had a lingering odor from dog accidents. I would get to them right away with lots of paper towels, blot as much as possible, then scrub with a mix of water, dish soap, and white vinegar, then rinse and then blot. Always took care of it. We have hardwood floors with area rugs here. The Living Room has a small 6x9 rug, even the kitchen is hardwood. I have been considering redoing the upstairs floors and if I had to choose, I was thinking of bamboo, just for it's environmental factors, and I really like the look of it too. I just bought a bamboo cutting board and I love it! It is so hard and smooth and pretty. denise...what a great shot of the bee swam. As a kid,I was not really afraid of bees, but not totally comfortable around them either. I have only been stung once or twice and no big deal. It has been over 30 years since I was stung and I am pretty comfortable around bees, although wasps still give me a little hesitation. A swarm or a hive, I would not be comfortable enough for though. Cute conversation with your DH about the cats. I could just picture it. I really got a kick out of him pointing at the cats that would all have their own shed. lol 'Returnable dogs'...I have to agree with Woody. Ideally, you hope that people think long and hard before taking home a pet, and knowing what lengths shelters go to, to assure a dog goes to a good home, I can't help but think that dogs that are returned are a minor occurence, would that be right? If a family can actually have a pet in their home for more than two weeks and not bond with it enough to want to keep it, then the dog is probably better off making the change. After a year? That seems like it must be really unusual and maybe something significant changed for that family? Hopefully he will be luckier the second time around. Cindy, why are you thinking of having more than one pair of muck shoes? Mary...so sorry you didn't finish the peeps dioramas in time. [g] Maybe next year?! I would suggest saving it for next year, but with ketchup? guess not..lol. Martie, sounds like you will also have a lot to move this year, but you already have help lined up?! How lucky are you! So, I keep reading little bits referring to a previous move. Someday when you have time, you could tell me the story of how long have you lived where you are, what were your gardens like in your last house and the story of the move..etc. :-) One of my computer order boxes came today. Just a few cables and one piece of software. The machine won't ship until Monday. Definitely will let you know how it goes Chelone...sounds like you are ready for a new one, if your memory is that low! Loved that garden you all are looking at in the old Idyll reunion pics! Ok...time to go...enjoy the rest of the weekend.. :-) pm2
    ...See More

Idyll # 439 I'm in the Garden

Q

Comments (102)
    What a lovely night for sleeping last night. Ahhhh! Winter seems a long way off, and air conditioners aren't in yet. It was sunny off and on yesterday and no rain again so sprinkler duty today. I managed to drag home rocks yesterday and when DH came home from work, we made an attempt to finish off the rock edging. I can't seem to make myself happy with this last five foot run and of course it is the most visible and walked by section of the border. After an hour of playing with it, I was cranky enough to quit for the day. Maybe a good night's sleep will make a difference. My poor pathetic pot of peas....lol. It really was more for decoration and I have a lot of pansies stuffed in there. It looks crooked in the photo but it's really straight. Next year I'll have to get serious. :-) Not a very good photo. I find I am not taking very good photos lately. I have had a full memory card w/o a back up for a couple of weeks and DH brought home a 2MB 2 pack last night. :-) Gee, all these early risers this morning. Sorry you are not sleeping Gardenbug. Are you feeling well? Lovely photo of your Amelanchier tree. It always amazes me how quickly the blossoms fall. Mine was so eaten by winter moth caterpillars last year I didn't get a crop of berries, but this year, it looks like it is full. Gardenbug....I am jealous of Eden and V. having kids close by, too. I do have two nearby, but I miss our DS who lives away. It isn't that long a drive, about 4 hours, but he works weekends which makes it very hard for us to plan visits around. ..... Where did you find so many gardening friends? I hardly know anyone that gardens in 'real life'. [g] Brenda....nice to see you! Hope you will get a break to come have a good long visit soon. And get some sleep too. [g] Chelone....exciting stuff! Pizza in the new oven and tables nearing completion! You are having a very productive 2009 so far. :-) Kathy....you are having a very concentrated gardening season this year. Between all your plantings and garden trips, you must be very satisfied. Seems different than last year, when you were in 'house selling limbo'. Deanne...I don't know how you do it. I only have about 8 large and 4 small containers to fill and I am not looking forward to it. It feels like too many....lol. Michelle....what fun to have a niece that is interested in gardening. She must love your garden. How is Kenzie these days? I bet you are missing her like crazy with gardening season starting. ..... Where are you going to put all your Clematis? Eden....Well, that is not surprising that Kate is no fun yet for Bella. That will change soon enough. It is wonderful that they live so close to each other and can spend quality time together. Lots of changes for your family the last few years. Did you say whether you will be helping Jen with Kate at some point? Pet woes I'm very sorry to hear. Poor Chloe and now Clousseau?! Saucy....I hope you can find the energy for the week you are having. Maybe a lot of coffee will help? Or chocolate. :-) Next week will be better. That's it for me this morning. Enjoy this 'winter free' day! :-) pm2
    ...See More

Idyll #486 The Wacky Weather Idyll.

Q

Comments (102)
    Gooooood morning one and all, What a glorious day is on tap for today. PERFECT weather. Its currently 62 degrees outside and so dry and delicious outside I could swoon! Still dry but the sprinklers are running and if these cooler temps continue for a few days as predicted the watering will last for a bit. A person does not appreciate a 70 degree, dry day until dealing with an entire summer of 90 degrees plus temperatures. Doug is off flying. Hes working on a new certification and is learning to fly a tail dragger plane. Ill be content to putter about in my gardens until he gets home and then I think well take a drive or something, or maybe sit on the patio and enjoy the day. Saucy, yes, yesterday was also beautiful but I taught so spent the day in the basement studio. I had to drag myself down there! LOL Youll have to give us updates on the GG paths. Cyn, the only thing Ive held onto is a very small primitive rocking horse that Dougs grandfather made for Heather. Ill never have any grandchildren so I really need to find someone who could use it. Its pretty cute. ~~ Hope your headache is gone. ~~ I dont usually have any weeds in the beds because I top dress all of them with compost in the spring and when any new seeds would be sprouting the borders are all so filled in the weeds dont normally make an appearance. Ill get an occasional oxalis or crab grass in the borders but thats about it. I read an article once from a gardener in the UK who maintained a no weed under any circumstances policy and would police all his borders daily. He maintained that the more you do this the less of a problem they become because you get rid of them before they set seeds. Im so lucky to be able to plan my work schedule around the gardens so I have time to do the maintenance. Kathy, this was actually the hottest July ever recorded here. I wish Id kept track but I think at least three of the four weeks were over 90 degrees and last summer we might have had one day or so that topped 90 degrees. Its incredible and hard to believe you are having a really cool summer. ~~ Love those new lilies! They are such beauties! I especially love that last photograph. ~~ Im looking forward to seeing some new pics from you. Youve really gotten fantastic with your camera! Bug, glad to hear the travelers are all home safe and sound. Michelle, what can I say except I am staggered by your gardens!!!!! How fabulous! I absolutely adore the hydrangea/persicaria combination. In the third photo, is that Little Joe behind the phlox? Its perfectly sited there. And what is the grass and the gypsophila looking plant next to the variegated sedum? Ive tried growing that sedum several times with no success. Im guessing that garden gets full sun? Id love it if youd do a whole thread of garden pics for us. I so enjoy your beautiful gardens. OK Ive spent as much of this beautiful day indoors as Im going to so Im out of here and hoping everyone is enjoying a beautiful day. Deanne
    ...See More

Idyll #275---Friendships & Gardens

Q

Comments (101)
    Taryn, how terrible. I hope that there is no serious damage, but poor Glenn. That isnt what he needs right now. Prayers and good thoughts are being sent your way. We could sure use some of that rain. The crops are beginning to wilt with temps in the 90s and no rain predicted until at least Tues or Wed. I bought sweet corn last night from a roadside stand and the ears are so small because of the lack of rain. I spent all last night watering. Babs, I think, but my memory is short that I promised you poppy and verbena bonarensis seeds. Is that all? I think I have your address. Drema, you wanted poppy seeds. Did you want any of the verbena also? I need your address. Ei, I'm not forgetting about the double red poppy seeds that I promised you. Did I promise aquilegia (columbine) Woodside Variegata seeds to someone? My memory fails me. Please let me know. Cindy, I meant to thank you again for getting us the free parking at the CBG. Honey, I think we were on Evening Island when we saw the daylilies. According to the CBG website h. Precious Love is blooming now. Mary, Im not surprised by your job offer. After meeting you Id give you a job, you are so sweet. Chelone, hugs to you friend. It sounds like life is really getting you down. I hope you can drive across the might Miss. someday. (Maybe you can stop by my house afterwards) ;o) We crossed it at La Crosse WI when we went ot IU3. T, I cant imagine how excited you all must be getting about the babies. bug, is that angelica gigas in the 6th picture? Ive been looking for it. I like the way the Diablos color is echoed in the centers of the rudbeckia. Later Michelle
    ...See More
  • gardenbug
    14 years ago

Yesterday's plan to garden was changed when two friends decided to bike over to gather asparagus for their dinner. I decided to invite myself over to share the asparagus crepes that were on the menu. I dared not smile as the husband and wife team bickered over how to prepare crepes. Two chefs in the kitchen does NOT work well in their house! Pretty funny. Their daughters are very vegetarian and picky too. The oldest, 17, has applied for a scholarship to study arctic environment this summer. $9,000!!! The younger girl just had her birthday and received a bunny as a gift, much to her delight. They are an interesting family. They built their own home and barn, have a horse, donkey, dog etc...and raise special chickens for their business which involves extracting part of the egg for use in medical research. Of course they keep all the chickens too which would impress Mary no end. It was a beautiful evening and there were orioles and hummingbirds about. It is nice to see their property taking shape once more after being devastated by a Tornado several years ago.

Yesterday I also picked up more yarn for a new project. Yes, there's a hint of pink in the wool too. ;)

The flower photos on this thread are truly impressive as are the containers. Kathy has reminded me to get the bird bath installed once more. It is still parked in the barn. Maybe when I finish the mowing I'll get to that.

Book Club tonight and I only skimmed the read this time. It is garden season and I cannot concentrate on a 400 pager. Should I confess?

I'm enjoying my solo time at home with no need to prepare food or stick to a schedule. I should tidy up the place, but then again, I should enjoy myself too, right? Think I'll dig up something un-breakfast-like to eat now and just postpone the fridge clean-up for another day.

'bug

• jak1
    14 years ago

Up before the chickens - well, probably not up before Mary's chickens...) I had time to slowly peruse ALL the posts between #439 and #440. All the photos and discussions were like a breath of fresh air - sometimes one can get so wrapped up in one's own circumstances that the rest of the world kind of disappears. Then one resurfaces with amazement! Such varied and gorgeous gardens.

DH was up in the night and I was instantly awake...he said he was feeling much better. The combination of super meds and green tea perhaps? And DD informed me that she is going back to work on the night shift tonight - she says she feels "almost normal". DH and I cracked up over that - "normal" does not describe our smart-hyper-funny DD at all!

I am glad that I organized the garden friend for the lawn. This means that I might have an hour or so in the gardens instead of pushing the reel mower around for that time - good for the soul for sure!

To catch up:

Gee Deanne, my four pots are coming along well...

Kathy - believe me, the JJobs have fallen by the wayside. 103 degrees F? No thanks!! But I love blue in the garden, and of course don't have very much...true blue is hard to find!

Chelone, I cracked up over Marian's Rooftop Garden! And "cooking up a hot time with Bruce and two-timing with Kirby". What a hoot! Mmmm the cake sounds wonderful. Dessert is a rarity here as DH's diet doesn't really allow for much in the way of sweets, but we would really relish the birthday meal!

Wow Martie - what a landscape! Looks amazing - and I can just imagine the effort it takes!

Gee 'Bug, that sounds like a neat retirement plan, but with the amount of Gravol that I would have to take, I'd sleep my way around the world!

V. I love the planters! What super memories you are creating..

And Kenzie has a split chin! Ouch! I remember all too well the "first blood" of DD's childhood - a split lip from front teeth after a fall. Kenzie gave a great description of the super-glue "Nail polish for chins". How cute! I use Krazy Glue on the thumb splits in the winter...

And a heartfelt "Thank you" to you all who have sympathized with my trials of late...It is nice to have some broad shoulders to cry on once in a while!

Cheers,

Julie

• saucydog
    14 years ago

Good morning!

I'm so happy to be home this morning - and I have the house all to myself to boot - the kids are at school and Nick is at work.

I did not sell a leaf, but there was a lot of interest and I got asked to a better venue later in June. I think most of the people were there to look for bargains. I did get lots of interest in custom orders and my business cards were taken.

I'm reading and keeping up with you guys. For now, though, I'm going to hop in a hot shower and whip this house back into shape. I have been working at the plant sale starting at 6:30 am each morning for the past 4 days. It was a very good cause, though, as all the money goes to the community harvest project - people work in the fields (from seed to harvest) and all the food goes to the food bank.

Today is all mine :)

Saucy

• chloehoover
    14 years ago

Im suffering idyll withdrawal... had good intentions to check in but the home internet connections deemed otherwise -- so annoying....

Deanne -- your gardens are looking incredibly lovely - as always that wisteria -- if only photos had smell.... and your containers -- I will have to try to study some for inspiration, which I seem to have little of.

Martie, your Park is amazingly filled in now and that luscious tree peony to die for.... I think it's wonderful that Rich is now into the lingo, LOL.

V, Kathy, and Michelle -- I cant tell you how gorgeous all your combos are -- the poppy makes me sad -- I had a luscious one ready to pop until the rains and wind came Friday nite and pow -- there it went along w/ peonies, roses, etc.....

I did work hard over the weekend sqishing amongst things to weed at least and plant a few more offerings from the plant alley but Sunday was incredibly cold and windy and I lost any enthusiasm. Golly, listening to Kathy having 100 degree temps and it was a high of 60 yesterday in my area w/ lows tonite of 40ish, possibly 30s.... So much for the last frost dates as V notes.

V-- gotta say, those pots are terrific looking and such a fantastic money-saving idea!

Im going to try to come back at lunch time to gaze at all the gardens and photos longer -- what a great way to spend one's lunch visiting all the gardens!

Julie - hope your DH is truly on the mend; it's a good thing you listen to the Dr and can supervise; it's downright scary how medical instructions are so easily mangled.

--Cindy

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Good morning... :-)

We had an enjoyable but tiring weekend. It was rainy and cloudy both Saturday and Sunday and we never did one lick of work in the garden. It was a treat for DH. Saturday we did fit in some plant shopping. I did my part to help out the economy and still didn't get enough for all my containers. I came home with a 'Stainless Steel' Aconitum, another variegated Iris, Heuchera 'Frosted Violet', another try at a yellow Echinacea and too many to plant! With lows in the 30s tonight everything is sitting in milk crates waiting to be planted out, we are leaving everything as is, to be carted in and out at least one more night. Supposed to hit 90 degrees Thursday and Friday. Time to get the air conditioners in the windows.

I was happy to have DD home this weekend. She was happy to sleep in on Sunday morning, since they have been waking her up at 7am with a jackhammer outside her window all week, redoing the sidewalk outside her place. DS had to work yesterday unexpectedly, so we made plans to all go to see the new STar Trek film tonight instead. It's playing at the IMAX theatre and it's the only way to see it. [g]

Chelone....the assembled table bases sound like they have worked out just as you wanted them to. As usual, the fact that you and the helpmeet would tackle installing melamine to the tops, is impressive. I imagine since you will be working with fabric on the tops, the edges will have to be smooth as silk? I'm trying to picture how you will accomplish that. Wondering if you sorted through the Lab and figured out what is being relocated to the Salon? Are you planning any new purchases? .....I've never seen an Indigo Bunting, I bet they are gorgeous. You and Marian are lucky! We now have a pair of pigeons visiting. lol I've given up trying to chase them out of the yard. They seem to have adopted us.

Mary....did I miss news on Clousseau?

Norma....what did you do this weekend?

Kathy....did you finish the renovation around the new birdbath?

Anita....how nice for DS and family heading to Disney. We took the kids when they were little. One trip we managed to get my mother and DH's parents along and it was so much fun! I always wished that we could have the entire extended family on a trip but it never did happen.

Deanne....Thanks for posting photos of your newest creations. :-) Always impressed with the condition of the plant material you have wintered over. Love your first pot, with the cream variegated abutilon and such a pretty colored coleus and the apricot primrose. I see a few new plants that I am unfamiliar with. The elongated leaves edged in red in photo #5. I like #12. Very different shaped pot and like the combo of fuchsia, begonia and that pretty variegated Penta. I enjoyed your yellow combinations last year and I see #17 looks like another great one. Is that Datura and what is the variegated trailer? Is one of your purple pots made of the new biodegradable material I recently saw at the nursery or painted concrete? Very pretty color and the golden color plants are going to be wonderful. What is that bright trailer in #19? #23 is going to be smashing too! Love that really white abutilon in that bright blue pot. #24 Your Elephant ear wintered over well for you. Was it difficult? Is that a Regal geranium? The red and black is striking! Do you grow that container in part sun and water it a lot? I see you have a visitor to your low water basin already. [g] Lawn and wisteria looking gorgeous too! Off to another hit season, Deanne. I really hope I will be able to get up to see it in person in July. :-)

Gardenbug....I am planning on getting some obelisks too at some point. They are expensive. Maybe later in the season you can get them on sale and buy three each season until you have what you want? Or.....if you have any saplings you could cut down, you could make your own out of twigs. .....I enjoyed hearing about DS's report from Paris. He certainly has an adventurous spirit. [Easy for me to say, I'm not his mother. (g)] Where does he get that? I can imagine the twinges of worry that report triggered. I hope he sends you a better update next time around. I'm looking again at the photo of DSIL and the peanut. Definitely happiness beaming on that face!

Cindy....'Me, I'm lucky if one side works.' lol I can identify. Did you ever explain, what Leafgro is?

Woody....is tomorrow the big day for Randy?

How is Rick's finger, Michelle?

Eden....DD and I were looking over a few of the Idyll photos yesterday and she loved the photos of the babies of course and Bella in her cat poses. She had a good laugh hearing about how she enjoys watching Cats. She also commented that your garden path looked very inviting. I always want to see more when I see photos of your garden. :-) I bought a Krossa Regal plug over the weekend due to a photo you posted of yours last year. ....I will wager that you are really looking forward to having Kate for a few hours every week. Will you have Bella and Kate together?

Marian...what a great list of plants you brought home! I'm trying Angelonia for the first time this year, too. I tried that B&B Salvia last year but I don't have the sun or the drainage and it didn't winter over for me. Hosta 'Whirlwind' has been on my list. ....Never heard of a 'blackberry winter', what does it mean? ....that Hosta 'Fire Island' cost me $10. at a local plant sale last year. I was very happy. :-)

Loved everyone's photos and wish we could bottle up fragrances and post them too...lol. Kathy's roses, Deanne's wisteria, Michelle's plum trees and then some.

I am only halfway down the thread! So many interesting things to comment on. More catching up later.... Have a marvelous monday... :-)

• Marian_2
    14 years ago

Pm2. "Blackberry winter" is what the locals call a cold spell at the time the wild blackberries are blooming.

• deanneart
    14 years ago

What an interesting day Ive had. Im getting new orders every day lately and cant figure out why. Jeesh, this work thing is getting in the way of the gardening. This morning I received a phone call from a person who knew a painting friend of mine and she wanted to come over to buy a painting shed seen for sale on my web site. She is a most interesting person and is a professional vocalist and artist. She wound up buying two paintings. Very cool!

We are supposed to have a frost tonight and Im trying not to freak out. There is absolutely no way I can get the tender stuff covered or under a roof so Im going to just have to cross my fingers and hope for the best. Then they are also predicting temps in the 90s on Thursday!!!! So Tuesday a frost and Thursday 90s? I dont recall ever seeing that extreme a temp change in that short a time.

Thanks so much for all your kind comments about the photo gallery! I appreciate it!

Woody, the dogwood flowers open and get whiter and larger with time. Love your pics! ~~ Ummm. I think Im a nut-ball as well.

Julie, sounds like you are having one thing after another to deal with your DHs problem. They need to get their act together.

Bug I read the nursing home/cruise ship story to Doug and he loved it. Thats the way to go.

V. love the pots for the reception. Really lovely combinations. And that Fothergilla/Tulip/Artemisia combination is fantastic!

Michelle, loved reading about all your work in the gardens. I know what you mean about putting off things that must be done in favor of things you can get help with. Same thing happens here. ~~~ Most of the plant material is stuff I over wintered, all the coleus, abutilons, plectranthus, pelargoniums, hibiscus, most of the fuchsias well most of it. Dont cry! It really takes WAY too much time to take care of it all over the winter. Im glad I did last year though because my pots wouldnt be this full. The dollar sure doesnt go as far at a garden center anymore.

Martie, the park is looking fabulous!!!! Love those tree peonies!

Cindy, sure wished you lived closer so you could come and visit the wisteria! It does smell divine! I just stand about looking at it and the neighbors think Im cracked. Maybe I am? LOL

PM, that red edged plant in photo#5 is a variegated Peperomia clusiifolia. Yes, that is a double yellow Datura in photo #17 and that vine is a Solanum jasminoides variegata. That purple pot is a stone cast container I bought at Sams a few years ago that I painted with spray paint last summer. The golden trailer in #19 is Jasminum officinale 'Fiona Sunrise. The abutilon in #23 is Savtzii. I have to confess that the Elephant Ear in #24 is one I picked up in VT on Mothers Day. My Black Magic didnt survive the winter, nor did my Hilo Beauty. I need to figure out how to save them as they are pretty pricy. That flower in that pot is new to me this year to and is a Schizanthus. Yes Mr. Rahjii keeps following me around when Im outside and is just too funny how he keeps showing up in the pictures. I really and truly am NOT trying to take pictures of him. Hes just there.

OK Ive got to get back to work here. The lady who bought the paintings wanted a custom mat and Im off to get that done for her.

Have a good afternoon all
    Deanne

• Marian_2
    14 years ago

Nolon had a routine doctor's appointment today. We were't sure if there was to be lab work, so he went in fasting.He did have blood drawn, and was given some sample meds for his increased shortness of breath. I did not eat breakfast either, then we both eat at our favorite cafe'. We look forward to the eating out. A neighbor lady works there, and she waited on us today.

It was much warmer today, and sunny, with no wind. I removed the ugly fence from around the front flowerbed, and Nolon cut down a serviceberry branch that the ice storm left in an awkward position. It not only looks much better, it turned more much needed sun into the bed. I mowed the yard in front of the house, which included around that bed.
    After my afternoon rest, I worked some more on pruning dead stuff out of shrubs, and did some more piddling around outside. This evening I strung ropes around the bed, and hung aluminum pie plates on it. That should deter the deer for at least one night. :-(

Oh my, Julie! What a scare! And what a mess. I have to agree that you appear to be holding up quite good. I hope so. I am so glad to hear that the massive dose of meds made him feel better.

Martie, I love all the pics of your place. It is beautiful! Wonderfully planned. I love the way your red tree echoes the neighbors's . Did you plan it that way?

Marie, I like that story about the old lady on the cruise ship. I had heard it before.

Pm2, someone asked what kind of Dogwood, I did not see an answer, so I will...It is a Cornus kousa, isn't it?

Kathy, your heat sound horrendous, but is the humidity very high? To me that would make a big differance.
    I love your Nigella pic. I used to have them, in my island bed, but the vinca crowded them all out. :-(
    Maybe I will grow some in pots, and set them on top of the vinca, like I do a lot of things.
    I am another who is not to taken by that Lily. I would like more yellow, and less purple.

V, the wedding pots are very pretty. Great idea!

Too much for me to try to comment on! Just suffice it to say: I read all, and enjoyed reading it all....

Marian

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago

The heat wave made a hasty retreat, thank goodness and we are back to more spring-like conditions. I am deadheading roses like mad- the heat pushed them to bloom out in many cases and they arent lookin too spiffy. My deadheading after the first flush is more like a mini-pruning-I dont follow the First 5 leaflet-leaf " thing-I cut back to a kind of rounded and unobtrusive size and let the other stuff in the garden become the main act. And just so you all know that I do indeed have some issues with the roses, I noted a disturbing amount of blackspot (not expected with our dry spring) and way too much rust. Another justification for draconian deadheading-its way faster than stripping foliage and since I dont spray those diseased leaves have got to go some way or another.

Saucy, what a busy time for you- Its great that you got an invite to a venue appropriate to your product- that is so key especially with high-ticket items and art. Hope you get some time to hang around with us this week !

LOL PM, there is no way I could do much planting at all this weekend in that dreadful heat. I didnt even try to reposition the birdbath . I did get the demolition part done, but not the re-build. I dont have all the plants either. I have 3-day weekend coming up though and the weather forecast is very good-mid 70s- so I hope to get it completed then. So far I have Campanula glomerata and Oxalis Charmed Wine" I need at least one more Campanula g. and I am also going to dig up some Cape Blanco Sedum from my back garden and move it to the entry garden.

Chelone, I know what you mean about that Lily- ironically , I bought three more bulbs this spring , quite by accident. When I got them home I realized I had purchased more of the same. I have them right next to the sidewalk so if nothing else the passers-by are taken a-back . Naturally they are extremely healthy and vigorous.(The lilies, not the passers-by)

Marian, humidity is quite low here , though not like Idaho, Az. New Mexico etc.

Deanne. how nifty that you had an interesting customer turn up- more $$ for plants ! What you need is to keep a big roll of Remay (floating row cover) in your garage and unfurl it over everything in one giant sheet if frost threatens. I see that the National Weather Service predicts 36 as a low for your area-hopefully that is as low as it goes !

Okay, going to deadhead a bit more and settle down for some baseballHi to all..

Kathy in Napa

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Catch up Pt 2....

Woody.... Your brick edging is looking good. Do you already have your plant material that you are adding? What are you going to put in the narrow area? How did you do in the frost Thursday night? I liked that garden quote.

I never get the performance I am looking for from my tuberous begonias. Seems a fine line between watering enough and not too much and sometimes no matter what I do, I end up with some ugly leaves from mildew or some such. I love them though and keep trying them. I will have to try what Deanne is having success with. Have never tried shallow containers.

Glad your peas are hanging in there Marian. Sounds like you had a nice day and productive too. My Dogwood is a cross between the kousa and the florida, I think. A Rutgers hybrid, 'Constellation'.

The Park is looking good Martie. I like that side view of the front. Your porch is nice and huge hostas under that tree.

Funny cruise story, gardenbug. [g] Makes perfect sense to me. Very pretty photo of your trees.

I had not heard the other story of the Worst Mommy. I read the link and I was surprised by some of the statistics she quoted by which she assesses the risks to children. I had the impression it was a lot higher than that. I still have the feeling that risks for children today are a lot worse then they were when we were kids. I had an enormous amount of freedom when I was a kid. We could come and go as we chose at very early ages. Lots of kids in our neighborhoods and we would be out all day until after dark playing. We could walk down to the 'square' which was a fair amount of walking. Kathy, we had a drugstore with a soda fountain too and Sundaes were a quarter. [g] I am amazed when I think about it. I don't think it was that unusual then. Parents did not have the worries they have today. I am very grateful that I had that freedom, it was a wonderful sense of living in a world where trust was taken for granted, I guess.

I have my share of weeds. I've gotten rid of quite a bit, but now I am battling something that looks like Adenophora. Pulling it doesn't help. I've tried smothering it and that isn't working either. Not sure what I am going to try next.

Anita, yes that is a branch of a dogwood tree. We planted it in 2006 maybe? It is a Rutgers hybrid that is supposed to be resistant to the disease that is so common in the native Cornus florida. I have 'Constellation'. .

Kathy...glad it cooled down for you and yes, I understand not getting your garden done around the birdbath. I go into hibernation when it gets hot. ....I can't wait for cherries and peaches. Jealous of your Delphiniums. :-) I lost all of mine over the winter. Your camera is taking gorgeous photos. Look at the detail on that Nigella! I've been in the market for new birdbaths for about three years now. I just haven't found one I have to have and can afford. [g]

V....I love your Wedding 'bouquets'! :-) The wedding must be coming up soon. I would love to see that poppy after it opens.

Michelle....Kenzie must be so proud of herself that she is swimming now. My DB and I used to spend a lot of time swimming growing up. Loved it. Looking forward to photos of the changes in the Secret Garden this year. Is a visit from Kenzie planned yet?

Saucy....I'm shocked that no one bought your leaves! But, of course you are right, everyone was probably not prepared to buy anything that was not a bargain. All that carrying to and fro....at least you are building muscle. :-) I love that community project the sale was for, what a great idea. Hope you enjoyed every minute of your day to yourself.

Deanne....thanks for answering all my questions. :-) I'm sad to hear your EEar didn't make it over the winter. If you couldn't keep it, there's no chance I could. [g] The Shizanthus is such a great shot of red! That name makes me want to call it 'Shazam' lol. ..... Congrats on selling your artwork! The more you sell, I imagine, the more your art will be seen and word of mouth, you can build up a 'clientele' :-)

Wonder how Denise is doing these days?

Have a good night. :-)

• chelone
    14 years ago

Lots to read this morning. :)

I've been wondering about Denise, too. And her Dad.

Great news from Julie, re: DH, let us hope the infection is on the run and things continue to improve with no repeat performances. I don't believe there is anything more nerve-wracking and frustrating that becoming grist for the medical profession. I am terribly jaded about it all now, with no real confidence in most of it, the result of what happened to my mother over 5 yrs.. Whenever I hear "the finest medical care in the world" or irrational fears about "healthcare rationing" I want to throw up. It IS rationed, it always has been, and it always will be. Best to take bold steps to ensure your health (diet, exercise, etc.) and just hope for the best. All lessons you and your family know very well, Julie! It's nice to hear the lift and lilt in your voice. (ignore my crabbiness on the subject).

Still have yet to view Deanne's pictures which I'm certain are perfectly sumptuous. I hope the containers have not succumbed to Jack Frost. It's 35 degrees at my house this morning.

I spent all day yesterday cleaning up two loam piles that were remnants of the driveway relocation and the subsequent lawn that we added last fall. Both were infested with Equistetum and a variety of other noxious weeds so there was a fairly thorough weeding involved, too. I have decided there is no way to eradicate Equisetum without nuking the area with copious amounts of lime, so I have determined to achieve a level of tolerance with respect to it. Anyway, I shovelled, raked, picked out weeds, and graded the area all day long. I was bone weary by the end of it, but the helpmeet's, "Wow! hon., it really looks nice" made me feel good. Not sure what to plant there, but it will suffice as a "holding pen" for things to be relocated. I want to try the "lasagne method" that Saucy recommended to me a few years ago. Maybe that and lime with put a dent in the force of Equisetum.

Melamine is cut to size and the cleats to afix it to the frames is all cut, too. The helpmeet will put the cleats on tonight and then I'll put on the edgeing. It's melamine and looks like tape. There is heat activated glue on one side of it and one uses an iron to activate it and apply it to the raw edge of the MDF. I have reservations about the security of the glue bond in our humid marine climate but we'll see. Life has no guarantees, after all. ;)

"The Worst Mommy" cracked me up. I had all sorts of freedom as a kid. Mum and Dad were huge on "idiot-proofing" my brother and me. Teaching us HOW to do things, planning and considering possible outcomes was part of our daily life. They wanted thinkers for kids, and could be brutal about whining and cling-y behavior. Until her death, Mum loathed kids like that. I don't share the common perception that it's any more dangerous "out there" for kids that it used to be. I think the fear mongering of the past decade/two has only made us THINK it is and provided another opportunity to sell us more crap (video games to keep kids "safe" indoors, monitoring bracelets for kids who haven't been required to come when called or stay nearby in crowded places, etc.). Sure, technologies change and present new challenges, but it's always been that way. Better to teach kids to use their active little brains by introducing age appropriate decision making and perpetually asking the questions that require them to use their innate intelligence. It takes a lot of time to do that... and it's not going to get taught in day-care/elementary school when one person is required to mind several kids and make safety decsions based on a group. I have several friends with kids that grew up on sailboats, in and out of foreign ports, and never setting foot inside a public school until they were 9-10 yrs. old. Lemmee tellya, they're leagues ahead of most of what I see at the grocery store most days. And this why the helpmeet and I have adopted the "refuse to live in fear" motto. I'm glad she's challenged her "accusers" and the common perception that DANGER lies behind every rock and shrub. Power to her!

I'm late and I'm outta here.

• deanneart
    14 years ago

Good morning all,

It never got below 41 degrees here this morning so I'm off to put all the plants where they belong. Of course, if I'd left them outside and unprotected it would have been the 35 degrees Chelone got with a frost. But I'm really happy we didn't freeze here as I don't imagine the bearded iris and the tree peony would have liked that too well.

Pm I'm with you on Tuberous Begonias. I adore their extravagance and colors but have limited success with them but like you I still keep trying. I've actually wintered a couple over this year. I don't know how far you are from Groton MA but there is a nursery there that has some gorgeous, large plants in 3" pots for $4.00. Some of the best I've seen for the price. RE culture I think I need to add more compost to the potting mix to lighten it up some and try that as well. I never used to be able to grow fuchsias either and have persevered with it until I can. Some things are worth struggling with. LOL

Wow, Chelone! Sounds like you put in a long and hard day's work with that loam pile. Good for you! Don't you love it when you finish a big job like that?

Kathy, I'm interested in your pruning methods, so do you prune the shrubs back to half size??? How far back do you cut the canes? ~~ I lol about selling paintings = more $$ for plants. That was exactly what I was thinking.

OK I'm off to get my day going. Have a good one
    Deanne

• chloehoover
    14 years ago

Glad to hear Deanne is replenishing her plant piggie for more shopping -- to keep us idyllers in fascination and amazement. Not that your paintings arent wonderful too - they are incredible and deserve good $$ -- but the plants will always win out for me I fear...

My 4 flats of annuals that I scored on Sunday spent last nite in the car trunk -- seemed the best spot for them w/ any likelihood of frost, LOL -- the other few were covered w/ sheets and all have escaped. So I'll have some projects (assuming I get some potting soil) for the holiday weekend - at least that's the goal.... I was pleasantly happy to find some bargains at a couple garden centers - early clear-out maybe - they were almost as good as Michelle's but mostly for annuals.

I got a really cute Sedum Sea Urchin that I'd not heard of before -- will try for a shot of it this weekend - it's cool looking.

Chelone - I have to strongly disagree w/ you re it not being a more dangerous environment for children these days -- drugs of all kinds, alcohol, family dysfunctions, etc. -- and there are definitely predators out there -- I was rudely alerted to reality when my DD was about 8 -- and a salesman accosted her and her lovely blond friend in a shoe store -- right in the next row over (where I could hear them and see their torsos) -- not to go into detail -- but the sicko fondled DD's friend and we ended up calling police & getting into a big mess. But folks need to be aware and smart about their kids and certainly supervise them appropriately. Heck, look at the chaos caused by cell phones and internet & social networks -- it's hard for adults to handle - let alone children and teenagers.

Oky, on a better note -- it is lovely and sunny here and maybe to hit 70 -- Im hearing noises about more squishing on the weekend but Im going to be optimistic and hope that changes.

O, PM - you asked abou the product Leafgro -- it's commercially produced (state of Maryland makes it from gathered leaves) leaf mold - it's almost like compost and I've had good success w/ it in years past - but this horrendous violet thing is making me thing I'm going to lay off it a year or two.... Certain nurseries in the area sell it (and it t'aint cheap) but I've found it worthwhile...

There's a great article in Country Gardens Mag, Saucy, about a woman who has a garden full of troughs that she makes -- it made me think of you -- they're truly neat looking... I have the itch to do some of those but no space!

--Cindy

• Lara Noles
    14 years ago

Good Morning Idylls!

Beautiful and sunny here today. The garden is really growing by leaps and bounds with all of the rain we've had. Hoping for some quality gardening time later this morning. Tomorrow Brad and I are going over the Jenni's to help her prepare a new garden area toward the back of their property. Brad's job will be sod removal and Jen and I will be taking over from there. Hopefully pictures to follow soon.

Martie, I loved taking the tour of your Park. It's really come into it's own this year and is coming together beautifully.

Mary, I love your chicks and coop! You are a very resourceful girl putting together that coop. You always amaze me at the things you're able to accomplish.

Glad to hear that Chelone and Bruce are bonding so well.

Michelle, that Kenzie is truly a water baby! Ouch on the chin though. Poor baby!

My opinion on the Worst Mom link...she came across as a kook to me. Children are too precious to take such risks with.

Hoping Julie's dh is continuing to improve!

Time to hit the garden! Have a good day.

Eden

• chloehoover
    14 years ago

Heeheehee, Eden - I think it's so cool your family gardens together in multiple spots!

I did manage to get a few pics and there are things blooming besides mushrooms, altho I had a problem w/ glare and still cant get a good shot of Clematis Arabella that is already blooming away ....

Cl. Gravetye Beauty -

{{gwi:159551}}

The Zeph. rose is starting up:

{{gwi:159553}}

I believe this is Juuli (or Miranda) - I keep them confused...

{{gwi:159554}}

The potting bench already filled up:

{{gwi:159555}}

-- okay - back to employment.

--cindy

• Marian_2
    14 years ago

My front flowerbed. as of this morning...:-)

{{gwi:159556}}

It looks better than the ugly fence. It does not look exactly like the pic now. I removed the pieces of bird fencing from over susceptible plants in the front of the bed.

• gardeningmary
    14 years ago

Hi Idylls

Julie - what a rough time you've had. Too bad we're not close enough to exchange hospital stories and support over a glass of wine. Hope things continue to improve.

ALL the garden photos are wonderful.

Martie - things are looking fabulous at your place!!

Life is full of new things to learn right now. Did you know that chickens love tomatoes and strawberries, that baby chicks instinctively know to did themselves a dirt bath on their second trip outdoors, and that 14 baby quail are one of the cutest things you've ever seen?

Mary

• Marian_2
    14 years ago

Mary, I gave some thought to having quail after we moved here. I think I would have enjoyed them, if I could have kept them safe from predators.
    And speaking of quail, we used to see them here, but they have been missing the past 2-3 years. Maybe too many predators?

I just opened, and planted, the bag of Caladiums that I bought at WalMarts. It said 15 tubers. I planted 26! They were all sprouted and had roots! What a deal!

• Lara Noles
    14 years ago

Marian, I love your new innovative deer deterrent. Good thinking. Hope it works! That's alot of caladiums. They're expensive here. Won't those all be pretty when they're up and growing? I love caladiums!

Cindy, cool potting bench. Looks like lots of interesting things are going on on your patio.

Mary, I don't think I could look at the cute baby quail knowing what their fate will be.

It feels like summer here today. 80s for the next few days. I'm going to have to drag around the hose a bit I fear.

Eden

• michelle_zone4
    14 years ago

Anita, change your headline to wind and boiling temps in Iowa. OK this weather is crazy! Do you remember I mentioned wearing a muffler and hat on Saturday. Today we hit 97 and the wind is outrageous. Of course the plants I divided and moved on Saturday are weeping. Im not sure Ill spend much time outside tonight. It isnt even supposed to die down over night. By Thursday cold and rainy. Its interesting to see how the weather I have now will soon travel to the Idylls east of me. Three finches sit on the feeder hanging from the eave by the kitchen window and are having the ride of their life while they try to eat. I grilled steak, asparagus and garlic toast, luckily the grill is on the north side. Im eating with the Idylls since DH is in the field.

Last night wasnt bad and I got most of the seeds planted in the potager. No tomatoes, peppers or eggplant until the wind and heat settle. It is chock full this year, in fact I think more tomatoes will go in the Secret Garden than the 2 cherry plants I put there last year. In the cut flower quadrant Im planning to eliminate all the rudbeckia hirta seedlings. Last year they took over. They are a nice cut flower but good grief! So far Ive planted 3 kinds of zinnias in that area, Ive got a couple of rows of asiatic lilies and I plan to add some of the ws plants. Several of the varieties of zinnias will go in the gardens as well. They make a great cut flower also.

Cindy, your garden looks so interesting, so many things to see. The potting bench is great.

Cindy mentioned c. Arabella Im so excited to see at least 2 of my cuttings came back strong this year. Im planning on trying both as a cascading ground cover. The name sedum Sea Urchin even sounds cool. I really like sedums. I was just reading the article in Country Gardens last night hopefully I will be inspired. Im a little intimidated to try the tuffa and not sure why. I need Saucy for a class.

Eden, how fun that Jenni is interesting in gardening and that it can be a family effort. I was encouraged this winter when we went to the garden in Florida that my DD took such an interest in the plants and was even taking close-up pictures.

Deanne, great news on the painting sales.

PM, thanks for asking about DH, it is looking pretty nasty yet. Kenzie told me shes coming in August, although I havent hear any specific dates. You mentioned obelisks. I would love more nice tall ones. So many you can buy are so short.

Julie, that green tea is really supposed to be good for you. I drink it daily.

bug, you sure are sneaky with your hint of pink. My DD never wanted to dress Kenzie very girly either. She has more of an Old Navy type of taste. Now Kenzie has an opinion and she likes dressing like a princess.

Id best go out and use some fishing string to tie down the finch feeder before those poor buggers get sick.

Michelle

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

This is from another forum, but I thought you gardeners might also enjoy this woman's day:

Yesterday I was running around like a chicken with my head cut off - usual behavior for any Mom - and we stopped off at home for a quick lunch before I had to go run more errands. I get my 2 y.o. out of the carseat and say, "Okay, lets get inside for a diaper change and some lunch," and she says, "Mommy, I want to pick lellow fower." So, exasperatedly, I say, "Okay, pick a flower." So she picks a weedy, dandelion flower. Okay, great, let's get inside 'cause you have a nap coming up and I gotta get things done.

Then, she says, "Mama, I sit on da gwass."
    "No honey, we have to go inside."
    "Peez Mama, sit on da gwass?"
    "No baby, we have to change your diaper and eat lunch."
    "Mama, sit on da gwass?"

So I think to myself I can take a minute and sit on the grass with my sweet, little girl, or I can sweep her up the stairs screaming and shove some cheese in front of her... which would it be?

I sit down on the grass.

She says, "See da bird?"
    "Yes, I see the bird."
    "See da green leaves?"
    "Yes, I see the green leaves on the trees."
    "See da blue sky?"
    "Yes, isn't it pretty?
    "So pwetty!"
    "Yes, sweetheart, it is so pretty."

So we end up sitting out on the front lawn of our house together for about 15 minutes, just enjoying the beautiful, sunny day and the cool breeze. It was so quiet and peaceful... We probably looked like we were locked out of our house, but who cares?

We talked about the wind and the sound of rustling leaves and how nice the sun felt. Then she said,
    "It's just you and me, Mama."
    "Yes, it's just you and me, sweetie."

The things we learn from our children. My toddler taught me to remember to slow down and enjoy the pretty day. The pretty birds, the pretty green leaves and to sit on the grass for a few minutes here and there.

This is a moment with my child that I will remember always.

• gardeningmary
    14 years ago

PM - I'm not sure I mentioned but Clousseau's blood work came back with nothing out of order. This is certainly. good news, but something like a tumor might not show at this stage. As everything looked good our vet suggested a wait and see approach to determine if his weight is still dropping before undertaking more tests. This is fine by me - Clousseau is back to being himself and readily stealing anything he can get his snout on.

Mary

• Lara Noles
    14 years ago

What a sweet story Marie. It's true, there's no better way to spend time than with a child. I remember when my mom passed away we had a day, a Sunday, between the viewing on Saturday and the funeral on Monday. My parents live on Lake Huron and Brad an I took Bella down to the beach and spent hours playing with her and watching her play. No toys, nothing but the sand, water, and some sticks and stones. Just being in nature. Watching her running back and forth chasing the waves coming in and digging in the sand. That was a more healing experience for me than anything else during that time, seeing things through a child's eyes.

Eden

• triple_creek
    14 years ago

I'm reading and looking and apreciating all the posts and pictures, but words just aren't flowing from my brain to my fingertips.
    I'm staying busy outside. I'll be back. Norma

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago

Hello my friends, a pleasant Tuesday evening to all. The Grosbeak is at the feeder with my pair of doves (I think of them as mine- I support them right? Food and board) and I have named the Grosbeak Bill. Seems to suit him. If Chelone can name her stove, I can name the birds , lol !

Home from the awfice today I entered the back garden and saw that the dying Magnolia of the back neighbor has been cut down. I have a new micro-climate, just like that ! A couple of weeks of observation will be needed before I start changing things, and I think it is mostly a positive thing- the casualty might be my variegated lace cap Hydrangea. I might try to move it, but its a mature (10 years) shrub and my moving technique is definitely on the meatball surgery side.

Cindy, its fabu to see more views of your garden. I love your potting bench, and it looks way tidier than mine at the moment. I also like the half-baskets on the gate.

Marian, you sure have made some great bargain basement plant purchases this spring. Cant wait to see how the Caladiums turn out.

Eden, has there been an executive decision on the color of the conservatory yet? Lovely story of the day on Lake Huron. :-)

Deanne, I would say that I am pruning down the roses about 25% , depending on the variety and its growth habit. Out here in zone 9 our winter pruning is typically pretty light. I have roses that are still waist high when pruned. After the first flush instead of deadheading to the first outward facing 5 leaflet leaf, I cut to create a mounded shape that is unobtrusive . I still always cut at an outward facing node though. I will sometimes cut off non-faded branches in the interest of creating a balanced re-bloom. (they come in and get put in a vase.) Right now the Delphiniums, Daylilies, Nepeta, and some of the Salvias are budded and blooming so the roses can lay low while they build their second flush.

Michelle, it sounds like our heat wave moved out of here and bee-bopped over to Iowa . Sure glad ours was only a two day thing. Its coming to the time of year when we have the famous west coast marine layer a June pattern here.. The plants love it.

Chelone, do you know we have yet to see one single photo of the tables ? Whats up with that ?

PM, I am having a great time with the camera . Who knows how many photos Ill end up with over the three day weekend. I was thinking about going to UC Berkeley botanical gardens this weekend but I think Ill stay home and get all my planting and mulching done (maybe even clean some bathrooms) and go to Berkeley when I take a full week off early next month.

Time to queue up the ballgame---later friends !

Kathy in Napa

• Marian_2
    14 years ago

Kathy, Hydrangeas root easily. I put cuttings in the soil in my cold frame, and they always root.I am sure it would work just as well if you put them in pots, and kept them moist.

Re: the caladiums...I am looking forward to how many differant colors of caladiums that grow. It is supposed to be a mixture.

• anitamo
    14 years ago

Today was a little better than yesterday. I was frustrated with the weeds, thinking how every spring I spend the first few weeks picking out the evil interlopers. Then I read chelone's post, and in her infinite wisdom proclaimed she will learn to live with some weeds. So, I will try to adopt that approach. We'll see. I had DGS today. I gave him the option of a visit to the zoo or Borders. He chose the latter, but maybe I was sending out subliminal messages to choose that one. hehe. I get a zoo pass every year, so quick visits are great, and we can go anytime. We stopped for plants after Borders, and I picked up two small hydrangea "QuickFires', three phlox subulata, three salvia nemorosa 'Marcus' and a veronica 'Royal Candles.'He takes an interest in plants, and I'm encouraging it big time.

michelle...Can't believe your weather! It's moving east? I hope it passes me by, because I'm loving the slightly breezy mild temps we're having right now. With all the rain in the past month, and some areas still pretty damp, you'd think nothing in the ground would have to be watered. But I just noticed an hour ago my canadian ginger drooping. Probably the only dry spot in the whole garden.

kathy...I work in a salon, owned by my sister. I try never to do it at home...can't stand the hair all over.

Chelone...An up-down do is what most of the prom goers want lately. It's just a curly style with the sides pulled back. Hundreds of ways to accomplish that. The time consuming part is ironing the entire head in curls first. I don't like updos, color is more my passion. LOL on the hair holding up to the backseat romps. With the amount of hairspray we need to use, it would stand up to EL Nino!

V...meant to tell you I like the fothergilla/tulip combo. I have two dwarf fothergillas and plan to add more.

deanne...Great news on the paintings selling so fast. More money for plants, and more pictures for us. :)

bug...does baby have her name yet? Love the story on slowing down. Good reminder for when life gets bogged down with unimportant details.

eden...I loved hearing your story on how you shared that weekend with Kenzie at the beach. Just watching her "be"! Kids are delightful in so many ways. Having DGC is like having a second chance to get it right. How nice of you and DH to help jen out in the garden. Take lots of pics.

cindy...loving your garden. I have a feeling all those pots will be full soon. That side yard is so peaceful looking. A perfect spot for WALATing or SALATing.

I took some more photos of the garden, and will share as soon as I can get them downloaded.

Time to watch DWTS. It's the finale.

Anita

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

Kathy, I'm all for Bill Grosbeak. Here we have Carl & Carlotta. (cardinals- we're all for alliteration!)

I don't know who I'll blame for the weather that's moving eastward here, but we are expecting 30C (86F) for the next few days. After having frost this comes as a surprise. I wish we'd have some in-between weather. The black flies are horrendous. I have friends who want to come paint scenery here but who are deterred by the insects.

It seems that baby Girl's name has not been top priority. Soon she will need a passport and I imagine a name will be necessary? DD was thinking they might need to put names in a hat...It is pretty serious when government offices phone and start suggesting names so they can fill in the blanks on forms!!! Baby now weighs in at 7lb 15oz...a big gain from 7lb 3oz at birth 16 days ago.

My new knitting is moving ahead fast as my schedule is freed up with DH away. This morning the farm equipment service department sent a guy here to repair the mower once again. This time the mowing deck was falling off. How that happened I don't know but it took about 10 seconds to attach and things are all set to go again.

OK, time for some sleep...I hope! Otherwise I'll be yawning in the dawning.
    'bug

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago

'bug are Carl and Carlotta identifiable ? Or generic ?
    Hoping Ms. Pink gets a name soon-DD took about a week to name Aiden. Do we have parental dissagreement on the name or is it more in the mode of developing personality and then namimg appropriate to same ?

My weather went to Michelles house and now its landing at The Farm.

Kathy in Napa

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Early morning hello....*yawn* I fell asleep with the TV on and woke up when I turned over and the remote hit the floor. I never saw the end of DWTS and now I don't know who won. lol AND I'm wide awake now. And hungry. At least there was a bunch of posts to read. :-)

Our weather seems to be pretty good this spring. Not too hot, not too cold. Not too much rain, almost not too little, but that last storm did a good job of catching me up. We worked on the rock edge again last night for an hour and made some progress. I'm working at accepting less than perfect. [g] I have about 60 plants sitting around waiting to go in the ground so I really need to finish that rock edge and get going. I'm hoping to work on containers this weekend after we finish the rock edge and the border is backfilled. That leaves all the weeding and laying mulch for another weekend. I would have loved to have it all finished by Memorial Day, but I've yet to do that any year.

Michelle....you've had your share of miserable weather. For a change I've gotten my tomatoes in early with Wall of Waters and they are doing great. Already putting out new growth. It was 38 on the back porch this morning but they were fine. But I do only have four tomato plants. [g] I had Rudbeckia hirta in my front garden years ago and in three years it had overtaken everything else in the bed. I ripped it out and disposed of it. I have had luck with Rudbeckia 'Indian Summer' It does not run but reseeds gently. ....I am sure it will be good for Kenzie to be away from Florida in August and the Secret Garden should be full by then. :-).... DH really did a job on that finger I guess. Maybe another week will make a big difference.

Deanne...you are amazing, the trips you take for plants. I would love to do that and should actually try to do more of it. It sounds like fun. Thanks for the encouragement for the fuchsias and begonias. :-)

Eden....Jenni's house is the white house that you were working on the garden when she first moved in? I hope to see photo updates. ....I always loved having little ones around. It's the next best thing to being a kid again. How is your Dad doing btw? Are you seeing him more often?

Cindy....what a cute potting area you have. I like that head on the top shelf. [g] Very pretty Clematis too!

Marian...Are those pie plates on string around your front bed? How is that working so far? All those caladiums....will have to see a photo when those start coming up.

Gardenbug....very sweet story and very true about children helping to slow us down. .... I suddenly am wondering if missing baby name has some significance? Some mental block. Poor parents. Poor little girl with no name. [g] We had names chosen for both boys beforehand, but DD's name was decided in the delivery room. We had it narrowed down to two names and it was finally determined by her hair color. [g] But basically, I ended up giving up my choice and letting DH have his. I'm very happy that I did, too. If they could get it to two names, they could flip a coin. :-)

Mary...I'm glad to hear Clousseau is more like himself. Since he is back to stealing, it must be a good sign. I still remember the tomato sauce all over the kitchen. [g] That was Clousseau wasn't it?

Kathy...enjoyed your very upbeat post and smiled often while reading it. :-) Photos of the new microclimate? Kitty photos too. .... I am going to drag out the bag of alfalfa pellets this weekend. I was reading about making alfalfa tea over on the Organic Gardening forum and I'm not thinking I am going to make a smelly mess with that....lol. I'm afraid to lay it on the top of the ground for fear of attracting rabbits but I thought maybe under some mulch or work it into the top few inches of soil? How do you use yours?

I was thinking maybe it was time Chelone named her camera. Maybe then we'd get more photos. [g]

Anita....I've eyed that Salvia 'Marcus' for awhile. Will be interested to hear how it does for you.

Waving to Norma and Denise. :-)

Does anyone ever hear from Ei?

Still wide awake. I see a nap in my day.

• chelone
    14 years ago

I've only had time to quickly skim this morning. But copious amounts of hairspray to withstand El Nino made me lol, shattering the pre-dawn silence. :)

Great story about the kid, 'bug. Slowing down, taking and MAKING time is how the process of "idiot-proofing" kids begins. That's what encourages thinking and that's the basis of safety for a lifetime. ;) The helpmeet and I are devotees of "life in the slow lane". Or maybe we're just lazy.

Two benches are complete this morning, the third is a casualty of carelessness on the part of the helpmeet. He assured me he had it all "figgered out" and boldly screwed through the cleat into the melamine without drilling a pilot hole. And then he did exactly what I begged him not to do... he torqued down on the screw forcing the tip of it through the melamine on the top, leaving a crater. I went through the roof after he casually told me "it will be easy for you to fill". It was the perfect ending to what had been a dreadful day at the awfice. The top will be replaced, the ruined melamine set aside for use on another smaller bench, and next time maybe he'll listen a little more closely. Or maybe not. ;) They look great.

As to pictures, I still have to find the service pack for the camera's software that jives with this computer and then get it into the computer without all the attendant crap they sneak in with it. I don't know how to do that and can't be bothered to learn right now. But I'd better get cracking on it as there are probably over 200 pictures on the card that is presently in the camera!

I have to go now. This is crunch week, tensions are running high, and there is more snapping, sniping, and exasperation than I'm really willing to endure so I'm counting the days until Friday. Chaos tends to breed tension and creative solutions to mitigate it are not valued. Everyone must be unhappy and "put in their place", that's why they call it "work", right? I'm working double time to remind myself that all the drama is actually there for my amusement. But I can't wait to get home. I suppose I could always tell her pound sand (I've done it before), but that probably wouldn't be very productive, or particularly helpful, huh?

Have some fun for me today, willya?

• veronicastrum
    14 years ago

Good morning! I had an excellent night's sleep and actually feel up to posting this morning. It finally was nice enough to sleep with the door to the screened porch open, so I fell asleep to the sound of toads trilling and tree frogs calling, and woke up to the sounds of the birds.

Things at the awfice are slightly better this week. The tension of last week is dissipating ever so slowly.

We had quite a scare with Sunrise yesterday; about mid morning she tried to get up and couldn't walk. DH took her in to the vet's office, and it turned out she had an inner ear inflammation that older dogs can get for no reason. After reading about it, I realize that's why she wouldn't eat a few days ago. She's already doing much better.

I'll wave to everyone. Hope you have a great day.

V.

• anitamo
    14 years ago

Marian...tell me more about hydrangea cuttings. When do you take them, and how long before they can take up permanent residence in the garden? How's the caladiums doing? It sounds like it will be beautiful when they're full.

chelone...when will the men in our lives learn that we're smarter than them, and it would make life so much easier if they would just listen to us?!! LOL! Too bad about the bad vibes in the awfice lately. Are you planning to go into business for yourself? Is that what the salon is for? How wonderful for you if it is.

v...poor sunrise...glad you caught the infection in time. If only dogs could talk!

Off to do laundry before work. It's going to be a beautiful day out there, and I'll be inside. I need to bring the sunshine in somehow.

Anita

• Marian_2
    14 years ago

Anita, right now would be fine for taking cuttings from your hydrangea. You want to use cuttings that are about 6-8 inches long. Cut just below a joint. Strip the lower leaves off. Stick at least 3 inches into the soil. The remaining leaves will most likely wilt at first. If they are large leaves, you can cut about half of the leaf off. They should be well rooted and ready for either planting into pots/larger pots to grow larger, or set out where you want them. I usually pot mine up and grow them on for a year or two.

I just planted the caladiums into pots yesterday. So, it will be a while before I see much growth from them :-)

Marian

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

Kathy, Carl & Carlotta are generic because they were called that when we lived in Toronto as well. Our Great Blue Herons are all Frank. ..because their screech is a loud Fraaaank!!!! (Before we got to know the sound they were referred to as GB for George Bernard Heron.

Honestly, I don't read anything much into the long naming period for Baby Girl. Just a matter of getting around to it and making a decision. Lots going on there. Baby is well loved, no worries there. Skyler is a better helper now that he is two years older. Yesterday he was allowed to hold her and walk around indoors with her. He asks if he is holding her properly just to make sure. Very sweet. On the phone, I asked Skyler if a decision on a name had been made yet. I LOL at his reply: "Capital 'N' Capital 'O', exclamation mark! SEND!"

While up at the North Country Fair Skyler was asked to help paint the slide for the playground. (oil based paint) No one ever gave him instruction, so he and another kid were busy making a terrible mess of things with bright red paint. Finally DD decided to give him instructions and he began to do much better. Odd how I never was taught how to paint, but I guess some folks need to have instruction! The other kid whined and said he couldn't learn because "I have a lot of anger". Oh brother. DD told him he was making excuses and he had to learn along with Skyler. He did improve a bit, but no one ever tells these kids that they are doing things wrong or poorly. Teachers and parents seem to often say "Good try Johnny" even when things are very sloppily done. Sigh.

Today was the first day here for lilacs. How nice too! Very hot out with bugs, but while getting gas for the mower and doing banking I was lured over to the nursery where I found an obelisk and some great foxgloves(orange), a goatsbeard, a gaura, a delphinium and a pink lupine. Tea with a friend under a tree was a real treat!

I made a Wheat berry salad for the first time. I've enjoyed it from the deli before. Nice lunch! Full of dried cranberries, almonds, sunflower and pumpkin seeds. Yum.

Ciao,
    'bug

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Gee Gardenbug, composing posts in the middle of the night is dangerous. Of course, Baby Girl is very well loved and I never thought any different. I guess they must be getting it from all sides about no name yet. Sorry, sometimes I open my mouth before I engage my brain. :-)

• chelone
    14 years ago

Well, V.'s post about sleeping with the door to the porch open reminded me that I'd better fetch the screens from the attic. Tomorrow and Friday are supposed to be quite warm, hot even, and the mosquitos are beginning to make their presence felt. MIchelle's warmth is due in some time tonight, I noticed the air beginning to change as the afternoon wore on.

I had to laugh at your description of the finches getting the ride of their lives as they tried to eat; conjured terrific images. :) You must really get socked with wind as it's open where you live. It's not so much like that here, with the rocky and more rolling terrain blocking much of it. Of course if you go out on the water, it's a very different story! And I smile at the thought that Kenzie has decided, all on her own, that she is going to be a "girlie-girl", lol.

Today was not appreciably different at work, but it was OK. I just tuned it out and concentrated on the work in front of me. I have my marching orders for the morning and that's just fine with me. Two days until the weekend. No immediate plans to make any drastic moves to self-employment but I can read the writing on the wall and know that the only certainty is change, so it's best to have a plan BEFORE so the transition isn't too stressful. Besides, I happen to love what I do for a living and have a ton of "projects" that I've wanted to do for years now but haven't had a place to really set up to do them. The Lab. is fine for clothing, and smaller drapery and cushion work jobs, but I can't really rip down upholstery with ease or work on floorcloths in there.

I have not been very successful with the solid surface countertop for the bathroom, so that project has been stalled for some time. I was again disappointed this afternoon, returning home feeling sort of defeated by everything in general. I beat up on the dog for awhile and then turned my attention to some weeding. It was a profitable way to while away the remainder for the afternoon. I am now reminded that we need to get some mulch pretty soon or all my thoroughness will be for naught. ;) The area I worked on Monday has become the world's largest catbox, lol.

Cindy, your garden is so pretty. The clematis are super and I chuckled at the comment that you keep them confused. I noticed what I think is a hose container, unless you keep cobras in it, I've always thought those were clever storage ideas. Fear not, I'm not naive enough to believe that the world is bereft of dangers for kids, but neither do I agree that things that dysfunctional families, drugs, booze, molesters are late 20th. century phenomena. ALL those things have been around for time immemorial. What I liked most about the Worst Mommy's approach was that she refused to be persuaded that it was MORE prevalent now than in the past. I've encountered a perv. before, too. Threw rocks at him. ;) My friend had better aim, she nailed him. How's Chloe doin' these days, got her feeding times all squared away?

Marian, I'm impressed with the way you've accessorized your garden. I hope the deer are appreciative and respectful. I've found Hydrangeas very easy to root, too. Only thing is, I've never actually INDENDED to do it. And this is the year I have to seperate them from the "mother plant" and move them to new locations. Can't wait to see the Caladium assortment you'll have this summer.

OK, I'm all in and have to recruit the helpmeet to receive the lowered screens. Nighty-night.

• Marian_2
    14 years ago

Not one of my better days. I got only about 4 hours of sleep last night. I layed there and 'planted' things over and over in my mind...:-( I finally got up and took an antihistamine, and was asleep in no time. Whether the pill did it, or if I just finally tuned out my thoughts, I don't know.
    Anyway, I have been bushed all day.
    I went to another funeral, this time for the 100+ lady that I went to her 100th birthday party last September. She had planned out her entire services, and it included congregational singing. My closest friend called, and e-mailed, that I needed to be there. There was a good turnout.
    I probably shouldn't have driven today, but, thank goodness, I did no harm, either to myself, or anyone else.

I did a little needed shopping, which did not include more plants. LOL
    I got home too late for my afternoon nap, but layed down on the couch during Jeopardy, and dozed off briefly. I think an early bedtime is needed. :-)

I am too brain dead to make many comments, but I too got a big kick out of the wind blown finches on the feeder, espacially the last sentence about " before the poor buggers get sick" LOL. That was a good one , Michelle.

Good night all...

Marian

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago

Only 2 awfice days left , nice weather is holding steady, and I continue to make lists of what I want to get done this weekend. If I accomplish half of it Ill be happy ! On my WALAT today I noted how well my Amaranth viridis is doing. I planted them in various locations and they are growing fast- Ill get a pic this weekend. The Zinnias all look ragged, snails have had their way with them.They need to put on some height so that the ground level crappy foliage is invisible. My Celosia spicata Flamingo Feather is still in the 6 pack and has basically stopped growing. Im going to plant them out this weekend even though they are only about a half an inch tall. Well see how they fare against the elements.Sink or swim. Also on the agenda is the removal/eradication of the lovely but rampant Salvia Argentinean Skies. Its just horrendously invasive. Ive been chipping away at it every evening this week and I have almost all of it out.

Marian, thanks for the heads up on Hydrangea cuttings. Thats a great idea, and I will take a couple this weekend.

Weeding is an excellent stress reliever here at the Kathy House , particularly as I have no dog to kick. There are neighbor dogs, but not everyone can appreciate the value of corporal punishment . Youve accomplished a lot Chelone ! Defeat does not belong in your vocabulary IMHO. Viva la Compound !

V, glad your canine woes were short lived. Did I say how much I liked your white garden pic ? I hope you will take the fancy camera out and provide us with more shots as the seasons progress.(In between weddings, the awfice, and all the other stuff you have going on )

PM, Ill get some pics this weekend of the treeless area. Rabbits are not an issue here , and I use alfalfa meal in any case which is kind of like dried thyme in its consistency. The meal is marketed through horticultural channels and is way more expensive than the pellets, but since I have my employee discount and a small garden the cost is not a problem. I buy one box a year and use it all in March . After that I switch to Dr Earth.

Heres a pic:

I am really looking forward to this combo when the Trachelium starts blooming . It will insert purple right into the middle of the scene , which should look very cool. {{gwi:159557}}From Garden 2009

Kathy in Napa

• michelle_zone4
    14 years ago

The garden much like life is full of disappointments. The 90+ temps and strong winds for 2 days have really taken a toll on a few plants. Mind you most seem to handle it well. All the lovely tulips are decimated along with the Thalia daffolils which were so thick this year. The ligularia and a few sedum Matrona are pathetic. Actually its interesting how some things fare so well and others not.

I ran around tonight in the near dark watering newly planted, divided or moved plants. The wind had let up a little and I could actually stand to be out in it.

Locally there was a huge fire last night that took a barn full of sheep and a machine shed. The fire trucks were called back twice. I'm sure it was extremely hard to fight with the wind.

Tomorrow will be better I'm sure.

Night
    Michelle

• anitamo
    14 years ago

A long, but successful, day at work, baked Atlantic Salmon for dinner, and now the Idylls. Does life get better than this? LOL. Hearing about all this wind, and it's plant victims, makes me glad it passed me by. It was still 80F out at 8:30 pm. Beautiful day, but one spent inside. Hope Michelle's plants will recover. I LOL at the bird feeder story, too. How awful about the fire. I feel so bad for those sheep.

Marian...thanks for the hydrangea cuttings tip. Sounds easy enough, and a great way to get all the H. 'Limelights' I want. I'm going to try layering, too. I'm sorry to hear of the passing of your friend. I remember you talking about her 100th birthday last fall. Hope you get a good night's sleep tonight.

chelone...only good things can come to you regarding moving from the awfice to the Salon. You've poured your heart into building it and it will reward you for sure. Can't wait to hear about all the projects you challenge yourself with. I'm impressed with people who sew, something I could never quite get a handle on. My Singer has been collecting dust in the garage for the past nine years, but I just can't get rid of it yet.

kathy...love that photo. I had to look up trachelium, as usual with your plants I'm not familiar with it. It reminds me of a miniature joe pye weed. It will look great against the yellow. Is that a perennial for your zone?

bug...so nice to hear that Skylar is enjoying his baby sister so much. Two years does make a big difference in maturity level, and in his appreciation of sharing parent's attention. I know what you mean about coddling kids, as in the comment Skylar's friend made. I doubt he came up with the anger excuse all on his own.

How's sue? I hope she'll be here with a TGIF post.

'Nite all,
    Anita

• dodgerdudette
    14 years ago

Happy Birthday Cindy !
    {{gwi:159558}}From Ruth Bancroft Garden May 2009

Hope those awfice people take you out to a very nice lunch, and let you bail out at one !

Kathy in Napa

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

Oh Michelle, I'm so sorry about your day. I'm not used to your being in a down mood! The fire sounds ghastly! I just love barns and it makes me so sad when they are left to fall to pieces or burn down.
    We continued to have wind and heat today. Tomorrow I expect more of the same. The black flies are horrendous and even Phoebe prefers to be indoors!
    I managed to fill 3 containers with coleus etc, and plant 2-3 things, but there are more things to plant out and many weeds to deal with yet. I just can't handle those bugs! I also need to do major work on the raspberries which are taking over beds and pathways these days.
    I think tomorrow will be a hose day....
    Tonight (midnight) the farmers are still out in the fields with their machinery lights on. Then tomorrow they have their day jobs too. What a busy time of year for them!

Hope Marian is asleep!
    'bug

• gardenbug
    14 years ago

The Swallows are back!

Happy Birthday Cindy!!!

{{gwi:159559}}

• chelone
    14 years ago

Happy Birthday, Cindy. (will have to scare up a shot of something later today).

I've overslept again and had to shovel in the Cheerios while Vera tried to get her head in the bowl for the dregs of milk. It's one of our special activities. :)

I managed to forget all about Sunrise's woes, but it's always nice to know troubling things like that are so easily remedied. Ditto for Clousseau and the policy of just keeping an eye on things for a time.

Screens are in the windows and the birds are trilling up a storm outside them. 'bug the Swallows must be having a field day with all the bugs; they really are handsome birds. We have some blackflies but not the clouds of them I recall from my childhood, I don't envy you one bit. I think they are oftentimes more difficult to endure than mosquitos. The painting story is pretty funny, but typical. I don't understand why people are so reluctant to tell a kid their work, well... just plain sucks and they need to do better. Good for DD! The prevailing notion that "little spirits will be crushed forever" is simply foolish. Having "your spirit crushed" periodically is not the end of the world, in fact it builds character and often yields a better result. Sad that no one bothered to show them the the basics of painting (grainline, how to avoid drips and "sags", etc.). And explain that oil-based paint will adhere to everything for rather a long time so some care in applying it makes cleaning up the trail a helluva lot easier, lol. (as me how I know this).

Marian, I remember the birthday party for your friend. I like that she had her funeral all planned out and I hope it was what so many aren't, a celebration of a life long and well lived!

OK, gotta saddle up and swing into the saddle for another day on the trail. As the week winds down before a holiday weekend the tension tends to increase and there could be fireworks today, as it will be hot, too. I'm wearing short sleeves and sandals today, but no shorts as I was too tired to get the alabaster gams shaved and I'm too vain to do the arachnid leg thing.

It's my hope to replandish the windowbox soil this afternoon in preparation for planting on Friday/Saturday morning. It will be an excrutiatingly traditional assortment, to guarantee everyone's camping experience.

T minus 9 hrs. and counting! Be brilliant my friends.

• veronicastrum
    14 years ago

Happy birthday, Cindy - Ruffled Patty is opening in your honor!

{{gwi:159560}}

V.

• anitamo
    14 years ago

Cindy...Hope your day is fantastic in every way. Enjoy it! No flower photos yet, but thought you'd enjoy this...

• chloehoover
    14 years ago

O my - just on this thread - 3 of my very favorites -- agaves that look to be from under the ocean, a poppy to die for (and lust for... Im never going to get the durned things to flourish), and of course.... a precious photo of the best kind of dawg in the world (& no it's not a stuff animal, LOL)...

Thanks so much idylls!
    Wow

--Cindy