SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
novice_2009

blister beetles- friend or foe?

novice_2009
13 years ago

Last spring I planted a row of alfalfa in front of a raised bed on the west side of my house. The bed was made using old concrete blocks, and didn't look very good. I thought this would be an easy, effective way to hide the blocks, improve soil, and have source of fresh alfalfa for compost pile and whatever else. Didn't plant it for the flowers!

Anyway, we've had a lot of dry, hot weather. One morning I noticed a million beetles all over it. Well, alot. I thought they might be a cuke or potato beetle, but it turns out they are blister beetles, which love alfalfa.

From what I can tell they have only one good trait: the larvae eat grasshopper eggs.

However, the adults will eat things other than alfalfa. DH mowed down alfalfa. I haven't seen them but once since and don't want them munching on other plants!

Grasshoppers are only a problem when the field across the street is mowed down twice a year. They swarm to my gardens like a biblical plague, munching on flowers, herbs, veggies.

These blister beetles can actually cause blisters if handled, and they are right on the side of the house, and we live in an old house and bugs get in alot. I have small children.

So, what's your opinion on these guys? Should I take steps to get rid of them? Dig up alfalfa and plant something else?

This is a long post I know.

Thanks.

Comments (5)