SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mojavelove

Scored a $5 Den, not an expert with these give it a once over pls

MojaveLove
13 years ago

I scored a $5 Den today, pretty excited. It has one bloom left that I will share, it might be the last time I ever see one lol - I bought this to see if I could take care of it and get it to rebloom. I have yet to kill any house plants that I have and have been able to get many to bloom so I THINK I can find a nice spot for it. Anyway it's called a Den. Salaya green and find that really means nothing but though I would share it anyway.

Questions before I share pics

- can a cane bloom more than once?

- It looks like the potting medium is good, it is a mix of bark and some black light rock - it is from a grower in HI so it might be lava rock. Anyway, should I give it some fresh medium now or wait until next year?

- The info I have read on Dens is pretty confusing. I believe this is a hard cane Den - does it need the dry period in winter? Is it thirstier and hungrier than, say, a Phal? Is it evergreen and what does that mean if it is.

The bloom - proof to all that this plant is capable of flowering, though I may deny this one day! Bloom is light green with purple lip and striping. Sorry, the pics are a little dark but the flash changed the color.

{{gwi:161816}}

Full plant

{{gwi:161817}}

This is the only thing that concerns me, there are dark spots and yellow spots (you can't see the yellow ones here)on the leaves of the two tallest canes. The plant is hard, the leaves feel fine and they are all a light greenish yellow. The roots that are exposed seem fine. There are a few sneaking out of the pot at the bottom and they don't look rotten but I haven't taken it out to take a good look. Anyway I'm hoping it is just bruising or something. No bugs that I can see, and no evidence.

{{gwi:161819}}

Thanks all

Comments (9)