SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
altair_gw

help! leafless orchid question

altair
16 years ago

Okay, so recently I purchased a Chiloschista viridiflava. I saw a post a while ago at http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/orchids/msg1213322311279.html?27 where 'whitecat' posted pictures of a vase setup for growing a ghost orchid. I got some inspiration from this and created a similar setup using a narrow vase and placed some small rocks and water in the bottom for humidity. The plant is mounted on a cork plaque and is hanging by a hook down into the vase, but isn't touching the water at the bottom. It arrived a couple weeks back and was doing great, but tonight during watering, I noticed that some of the roots are starting to shrivel up, and I'm worried this will spread down the root. I think it's root rot, but I've been extra careful to make sure that ample airflow is around the roots, as I have the vase sitting in from of the humidifier/fan. Usually when I've experience root rot, the roots are mushy, but these are just completely shriveled (with a light grayish tint) in certain parts and seem to be spreading down the length of the root. Has anyone had any experience with this on leafless orchids?

Thanks in advance for any help!

~altair

Comments (19)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!