SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maidinmontana

I think I got lucky. . .

maidinmontana
15 years ago

Hi,

I have a Phals orchid ( I didn't know anything about them when I bought it) it was in bloom when I got it, I accidently broke the spike off soon after I bought it. After some time, I moved it to a shelf that had light from a west facing window and was directly under a regular light (above my kitchen sink) and this light was on 24-7. I didn't have it on a saucer for humidity, I just watered it when it felt like it needed it. (Like I said, I didn't know anything about them then). It stayed here all winter. About a month and a half ago I noticed a spike forming. I cared for it as usual (water etc) but eventually moved it to a different location with bright but not intense light. (Intense being the constant light from the light bulb and much closer). It continued to flower all the way to the end of the spike. There are two more buds yet to open then it will be done.

My questions is, did I just get lucky with the flowers/buds or will I have to duplicate the light it had before in order for it to bloom again (the next cycle)? I took the shelf down, it is now in a room w/bright light, direct sun on plant in the morning but about 5' away. Or given the fact the buds all opened even after the move, does that mean the light conditions are OK for this guy? It did start getting a new leaf about two weeks ago and is now about 1/2 the size of the mature leaves. Does that tell me anything?

Hers a pic of it about a month ago

{{gwi:161070}}

Thanks for looking.

Comments (14)