SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
whitecat8

Mosses and growing sphag

whitecat8
15 years ago

In Quinnfyre's recent thread, we wandered OT, so here's a separate thread.

Check out these spurs!

Posted by quinnfyre z7 PA (My Page) on

Mon, Apr 20, 09 at 0:05

Aerangis mystacidii has been in spike for a while now. Things look to be progressing at a faster pace now, once the spurs began to appear. They seem to grow visibly, daily.

Three days ago:

{{gwi:159678}}

Aerangis mystacidii

Today:

{{gwi:159680}}

Aerangis mystacidii

I am impressed at the length of the spurs. It's fun to see!

I also have a little question. Has anyone ever seen those little red growths before? (Second pic, in the sphag.) Could you tell me what they are? Are they harmful? They only showed up within the past couple days.

Follow-Up Postings:

RE: Check out these spurs!

* Posted by calvin_orchidlover 6a Toronto (My Page) on

Mon, Apr 20, 09 at 0:32

Q that is so exciting - I can't wait to see this one bloom. I believe the little red things are spore heads of the moss...that's incredible! How often do you mist your mounts? I struggle to get moss growing well on mine although they grow in the pots.

-Calvin

* Posted by quinnfyre z7 PA (My Page) on

Mon, Apr 20, 09 at 0:49

I water daily, unless something's visibly damp - some of the mounts have sphag around the roots, and if that still looks wet to me, I leave that one be. But others are completely bare-root on cork, and those I feel free to water, since they dry out again soon enough.

That mount has moss growing all over the sphag, very lush! In fact, the side that's showing is the side that has the least amount of moss because I don't directly water that side, due to the spike being there. I get picky about where water ends up, because I don't want to see rot get started. If I get sloppy and get water in the crown or at the bases of leaves where the angle is such that it doesn't drain, I blot it with a Q-tip. I know in nature things get rained on, but I think more changes occur in nature too, like heavier winds that might shake that water out. Plus, things in nature don't necessarily look perfect either. My theory is if I can avoid rot by doing this one simple thing, I'm going to do it.

Spore heads, huh? Fascinating...

* Posted by highjack z6 KY (My Page) on

Mon, Apr 20, 09 at 7:02

Calvin are they spores or seeds? My sphag will get these and I watch them go from bright orange to dark brown like a dried seed.

I always thought live sphag grew in shade conditions but my mounts that end up with live sphag get it first in areas where the most sun hits them. I also get live sphag in my phrags which I grow in catt light.

Congrats on the buds - can't wait for the pictures.

Brooke

* Posted by calvin_orchidlover 6a Toronto (My Page) on

Mon, Apr 20, 09 at 9:08

I don't think that moss is sphag - I have something similar on some of my mounts, and its more of a creeping stringy kind of moss (although it's hard to tell from the photo). Also, I think the spore heads on sphag look a little different

I did a bit of research (http://www.adkscience.org/gallery/collections/boreal-trail.htm) and it seems that the spore heads turn brown after they ripen, and then fall off/burst open and lots of tiny spores come out.

Brooke - I too have heard that bright sun is great for sphag. You are lucky you managed to get some to grow...I am still hoping one of my friends who grows carnivores will get around to sending me a little snippet so I can try to grow some.

* Posted by whitecat8 z4 MN (My Page) on

Mon, Apr 20, 09 at 15:29

Earlier this year, my Ang. fastuosa's spurs just took off at some point. It's fun to watch.

Yeah, your moss looks like "moss moss," rather than sphag. On another thread, a few folks said it's a good sign of the plant's health. Since I started using spring water, a lot of my mounts and pots have gotten regular moss on them, and it gets the little spore heads. Other plants now get the long, stringy moss that Calvin described. No spore heads on that, at least not yet.

Calvin, theoretically, you can grow sphag from dried sphag. http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/bog/msg0115225814471.html. Note: "LFS" means "long-fibered sphag."

From that thread: “… (from dried sphag), pick out all the ends with buds. Then chop, chop, chop the buds with scissors and sprinkle the dust over the growing area. Eventually it will grow but this takes A LOT longer than using the live bits."

Another note: This guy uses growing mediums of moist, “dead” sphag or 50/50 sand and peat. Both need to be moist constantly.

Brooke, because you mention the spore heads that regular moss gets, I’m wondering if you might have that growing, rather than sphag. When New Zealand sphag starts growing, it looks like the picture that’s linked.

This guy has what looks to be a comprehensive, successful process for growing live sphag, but he starts w/ live sphag: http://www.geocities.com/butchtincher/. Evidently, the developing sphag has to be wet constantly, w/ occasional flooding. But, nature being what she is, no doubt sphag starts growing in less than ideal conditions.

Whitecat8

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:154627}}

Comments (12)