SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gandle

Darn it, that trip won't happen this year.

gandle
16 years ago

Meadowlark Hill, where there are over 800 varieties of lilacs was clobbered by our 5° temperature in April. Max, the owner told me that 80% of the lilacs were damaged to the point that they lost their buds and didn't or won't bloom this year. We will miss that trip and the sensory sensation from observing and SMELLING the many thousands of lilacs.

The late hard freeze took all the buds off our tree peonies and the tulips laid flat on the ground and tried to open but it didn't happen. It may have killed all the crown imperials because they were just opening and then the frost hit. The foliage turned brown, then black and shriveled up so there won't be any leaves to nourish the bulb, hmm or is it a corm, no, don't think so. The herbaceous peonies are doing very well and we should have plenty of bloom from them of course the fruit trees won't have any fruit this year, buds are turned black and fell off. So, we are freezing lots of rhubarb and making a lot of rhubarb sorbet which we love, good served in a dish of rhubarb vanilla compote How did I get from lilacs to rhubarb? Better quit before I wind up somewhere and can't back out.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
More Discussions