SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ray_ratliff

Growing Phrags On Rock

ray_ratliff
16 years ago

I have been playing with the idea of growing a paph or phrag on a piece of stone. I know that there are many varieties that like to grow near rivers & will grow roots right into the moving water. I have a medium sized water fountain here on the balcony that I have been thinking about replacing the statue with a few rocks piled on top of one another. I would like to try growing a couple different plants on the rocks, but not sure what would be the best one to start out with. I have a Phrag. Grande 4N that need repotting (I could divide a piece or two from it for the project). Anyone think this might be a good candidate? Do you have any suggestions for paphs & phrags that might like growing like this?

P.S. The water will not be spewing out of the top. Rather, it will be more of a bubbling action that will just let the water flow down the rocks & back into the base of the pond, so water should not be splashing into the crown of the plants. I am thinking the pond pump will run 24/7. I imagine that if it ran only a couple hours a day, the roots would not grow accustomed to growing in the flowing water.

Looking forward to hearing from everyone!

-Ray-

Comments (18)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor