SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okie_deb

Redlands Orchid Show in Florida!

okie_deb
15 years ago

I'm heading to the Redlands Orchid Show in May! This will be my first orchid show of any size! It will have between 50-60 vendors! The one here in Oklahoma has only a few vendors and you blink and your through it.

Any suggestions of nice orchid nurseries to visit besides at the show? My interest is mostly miniature species.

I also grow Hoya's if you can suggest any places to go for those?

Thank you for any help your able to supply in advance!,,,,Debbie

Comments (20)

• garyfla_gw
    15 years ago

Hi
    There will be more types than you can fit into a semi truck. Many of which you shouldn't get for your culture methods
    What i do is visit the websites of various vendors with
    species of particula interest . You can preorder and then pick them up at the show. at the very least you will save shipping charges at best it prevents you from buying types not suited to your growing conditions.
    Have a good idea of what you want BEFORE going there is WAAAYYY too much temptation lol gary

• stitzelweller
    15 years ago

Brasilian orchid vendor Eco Orquideas will be at Redland. An awesome variety of Brasilian species on the Price List.

Anyone have experience with this one? If I choose to purchase, I will need a 1000 mile shipment, too....

--Stitz--

• Related Discussions

Central Florida Orchid Show

Q

Comments (1)
    Time to bump, hope whomever went enjoyed it.
    ...See More

Calling Florida Orchid Peeps...

Q

Comments (4)
    I usually get mine at the shows. This coming weekend is the Redlands show in Homestead. There are local vendors there, OFE and Broward Orchid Supply that have everything that you need... They also do mail order, well I know OFE does... John
    ...See More

Redlands show

Q

Comments (4)
    I could not make it, and boy I wanted to....An awesome place to visit for orchid fanatics... I did pre-order from the vendors coming to Redlands: I got lots of catts and laelias from Florália'- good stuff. Waiting for a few plants from Equagenera..still not the same as going to the super-sale (Redlands) and finding plants :( Olya
    ...See More

redland orchid festival...anyone?

Q

Comments (14)
    brassavola nodosa "largo", this is one of the nicer nodosa clones. I had several nodosa plants that had this plant as a pod parent and they were very nice. My favorite nodosa cross so far is the "largo X susan fuchs" cross. I spoke to 2 growers about this plant and they were surprised that id did not have even a tinge of green as many nodosa's do. Looks like they (AOS, RHS) are splitting the nodosa group into a straight nodosa and a grandiflora (large flower) separate group, courtesy of AOS and RHS. For nodosa-phyles, I saw Whimsy orchids had a nodosa "godzlla" clone available(not blooming) and they had a comparison picture with susan Fuchs FCC and the Godzilla was much larger.... available at $100 for an established 6 inch pot, the susan fuchs clone was also available for $100. If anyone is interested in the old Jones& Scully line of "orchidglade" clones, WHimsy is your best option for hard to find plants. Owner of Whimsy Bill Peters used to be the Jones and Scully grower way back when, before their Benlate disaster.... little pricey, but hey.... "this is the business we have chosen"... anyone know this line?
    ...See More
  • carolinn_on
    15 years ago

I agree with garyfla. This what I do; also specify you want healthy plants. This should be a given, but it is not with some vendors, as I have discovered.

Yes the temptation is GREAT, so buy only what you really like and feel will fit into your growing condions, as garyfla has also said.

Carol

• okie_deb
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hey everyone!
    I have so far put in one pre-order for the vendor to bring them to the show. 2 miniatures and 1 large growing type. At least doing it this way the plants seem to have less stress than them being mailed from a foreign country and at the mercy of the postal depts between there and here.
    Stitz I emailed Eco Orquideas this morning to ask if they would do a pre-order but haven't heard back from them yet.
    I don't want to place too many pre-orders because I know there will be so many new and exciting orchids at the show! Thank goodness I am mostly a miniature orchid gal because I do have to bring them back on the plane. haha.,,,,Debbie

• cjwatson
    15 years ago

Before I can recommend anyone, I really need to know what type of mini your grow; there is a world of difference between a Pleurothallis species and a miniature Cattleya species.

• orchidguyftl
    15 years ago

Are you looking to travel to other areas for nurseries?
    Mickies Orchids here in Ft Lauderdale has many mini's and also Small frequent bloomers.
    I also go with specifics in mind, but usually find other things that I just HAVE to have. Best day to go, Friday. Typically its species day, where vendors have all the really good and prime items. Its usually all gone by 1.
    Do be careful of over seas growers that have their shipments of plants irradiated to bring them into the country. Irradiated plants will most often die after a period of days to months and is a bad loss.
    The show is a great experience and to a lot of people can be over whelming. Lot of people bring carts and wagong to help carry plants. I know you will not be able to buy that many if bringing home on a plane. It is possible though to buy many plants here and have the plnts shipped to your home too...

• okie_deb
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Orchidguyftl - That is exactly what I'm looking for! I'd like to find some nurseries within a reasonable distance in the area of Miami to go to. Mickie's in Ft. Lauderdale Mapquest says is 33 minutes away so thats great! I will put it on my list of places to go. Thank you! We leave late afternoon Monday so we have 2-3 days extra to plant shop and site see.
    We are arriving Wed. and the show doesnt start till Fri. You can bet we will be headed in the doors of the show promptly at 9 when it opens! haha. I'm so excited and time seems to be just drifting along till the show.
    I do plan to get some priority boxes at the post office to pack flat in my suitcase in case I need to ship something.
    I do wish I could drag a wagon along at the show but wouldn't be worth it to buy one and have to leave it. The carts I would think though tall aren't very wide to hold much without stacking plants on each other. I think I will find a box and carry it. I can always drop off at the car when/if it gets full.
    It's my understanding this show is outside with booths spread out? What do the temps run in May? I hope there are some shade trees along the way if it is indeed all outside!,,,Debbie

• okie_deb
    Original Author
    15 years ago

CJ - Sorry I missed your post!
    I grow all types of mini's and micro mini's. I don't however have any interest in mini Catts,,,or Catts period (sorry Catt lovers!!).
    Some mini's I have are Bulbo's, Dens, Eria, Epi's, Lepanthes and Pleuro. to name a few. I grow mostly in terrariums and adjust the watering according to the orchid.
    I also am always looking for Jewel orchids I don't already have!!
    Does that help you any to think of some places?,,,Debbie :-)

• stitzelweller
    15 years ago

orchidguyftl z11 FTL FL wrote:

"Do be careful of over seas growers that have their shipments of plants irradiated to bring them into the country. Irradiated plants will most often die after a period of days to months and is a bad loss."

What should someone look for while being careful? Is there a particular Port of Entry which uses irradiation?

Last year, I purchased plants from 5 vendors originating in other countries (all of whom will be at Redland in 2009). All plants arrived in excellent condition, whether I picked them up in person or had them shipped to me.

I have imported plants using my own import permit since 1980. I have not seen a problem, yet. My experience is limited to plants originating in South America. I use only New York and Miami as my POEs. I am especially impressed with the USDA/APHIS personnel in New York. They are knowledgeable and service oriented.

--Stitz--

• orchidguyftl
    15 years ago

Well Debbie, I wouldnt recommend running plants out to the car. Temps here will be in the high 80's/low90's and humidity of 80% or so. Cars can fry plants in a short period of time, even in the shade.

Stitz, as far as signs, it really depends on the plants. Most susceptible are the thinner leaved plants. Zygo's Sobralias, Lycastes, things along that nature. Usually by the end of the show, Sun, plants will already show blackening leaves. If a grower is honest, you can ask.

• okie_deb
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh my! It will be a lot hotter than I expected for May.
    If my friend and I gather too many orchids our motel is close and we can take them back to the room and go back to the show for more. hehehe.,,,,Debbie

• cjwatson
    15 years ago

Decades ago, I lived in the Redlands. ogf is quoting S. Florida temperatures UNDER the shade trees. It's even hotter out in the sun, but the gift shop and auditorium at the Fruit & Spice Park where the speakers will be, is air-conditioned so you can sneak in and cool down. They also rig up big tarps by the food area with fans running. You will definitely need sunglasses, sunblock and a hat as well as lightweight summer clothing. Although it doesn't rain often during May, it's a good idea to pack one of those small folding umbrellas just in case of afternoon showers.

As for the local plant nurseries, they will be at the show and often close down their retail locations. These are mostly mom & pop types and they don't have the staff to run both. But if you find their booth interesting, you can ask to drive over later on. Most are just a few minutes away.

In general, S. Florida nurseries carry plants that do well in S. Florida. You will find an abundance of Cattleya Alliance species/hybrids, Vanda Alliance species/hybrids, many Oncidium intergenerics (Mickey's mostly sells small-growing Catt type hybrids). You will not find Pleurothallids since very few do well outdoors down there, and Bulbos and Erias won't be in abundance either in local nurseries since the demand is not there.

However, there will be dealers from S. America there who will have oodles of Pleuro types; and dealers from Malayasia, Thailand, Philippines, etc. who will have lots of Bulbos and Erias and wee Den species. I have bought from these foreign dealers at Redlands for years and years and have always gotten good healthy plants which have thrived for me -- at least until I killed them. You are going to be in orchid heaven at Redlands.

I don't recommend you preorder from the foreign dealers since they will be bringing a huge assortment of plants that will leap into your bag. Bring money. Bring lots of money. Bring lots of plastic. There are a couple ATMs brought in for the show, but they often run out of cash due to high demand by orchid addicts.

As for the American dealers who will be there -- other than the small growers who are not on the Internet -- I can buy from them any time during the year so I concentrate on the foreign imports which I can't get otherwise. I can spend more than enough money just with them, lol.

• okie_deb
    Original Author
    15 years ago

CJ - I made a note to bring money and plastic! lol
    Do all of the vendors take plastic? I hate to deal with cash in busy situations like this but need to know if I need plenty or just some on hand. I can not imagine where I'm from a ATM running out of money but I guess with a huge crowd it could! After all they only hold so much! lol
    You will know it's me at the show if you see a lady frothing at the mouth, wiggling her way through the crowd to get to the next booth and giggling with glee either from making it finally or a new orchid purchase! But then I suppose there will be alot who resemble that at the show huh?! LOL
    My favorite booths at the Dallas show 3 yrs. ago were Andy's and Eucagenera. Oh and Oak Hill,,,almost forgot them.
    If ya'll see me wave and I will too!,,,,,Debbie

• stitzelweller
    15 years ago

Debbie,

It is wise to have plenty of ca$h in hand for foreign vendors as some do not use credit cards -OR- they prefer $US in order to pay for their immediate food, lodging and travel expenses in this country.

--Stitz--

• cjwatson
    15 years ago

Some of the foreign vendors will, surprisingly, take personal checks though not credit cards. If they do take your card, your credit card company will charge you a fee for $$ conversion. VISA is the preferred card for some reason.

All of the American dealers will take plastic, although it is time consuming and there are always lots of people lined up to pay.

Cash is happily accepted. Cash rules!!

• orchidguyftl
    15 years ago

Few do not take cc.
    I know a couple of the Central and South American vendors tat do not. One or 2 of the asian, othen that they mostly seem to.
    Another option as far as temps and plants in cars; They have a hospitality booth that for a couple of bucks, you can check your plants there and pick everything up when you leave...
    John

• okie_deb
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thats good info on the hospitality booth! It would be worth it to pay and not have to worry about my new plants!
    Could you elaborate on names of the vendors you know of that don't take cards?,,,,,Debbie

• uglyfishpub_comcast_net
    13 years ago

Other than the 3 day offer, does anyone know of any coupons or savings on the (now) $10 entry fee? I remember when it was $3!

• zozzl
    13 years ago

We went yesterday. It was terrific and they literally have everything. There was a lot of buying going on. I don't know about any coupons but if you fill out the form attached to the ticket they are having a raffle. They have a tent that will babysit plants for $3. a bag.

Bring more money than you thought, a hat, drinks, cart,and sunscreen. Tons of flowering plants, species and miniatures. Prices were good and I found some very nice deals.

Had a blast!!!

Pat

• edub9
    12 years ago

I will be attending this year, very excited as I haven't been to this show in many years.