SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
curlyone_gw

Beginner - advice needed

curlyone
14 years ago

Hello!

I am new to orchids and need an advice...

I have a problem with my phal-mini... New buds just dry up...but only the tiny new ones, the ones that were bigger when I got it did open up, however the flowers are smaller then the original flowers orchid had when I got it.

I am not sure why this is happening...

Is the care about the same for the minis as for regular phals?

My orchid is planted in a tall glass vase with moss on top and some wood bark and moss on the bottom. No drainage.

I was told by the florist to just mist the moss and leaves when moss feels dry, but not to water a lot because if the root gets wet that would kill it. Another person that has a few phals of her own, told me they did not like much water and to only water once weekly... however my moss feels dry almost every day (I don't mist every day) and it is almost impossible to mist the moss and not let any water sneak down the vase to the bottom... And if I try watering the water is sure to drip down from the sides of the vase... There is always kind of mist in the vase between the tree bark and top of the vase where orchid is planted....

This is my first orchid and I love it... and want very much to keep it happy and healthy...

Any care tips would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thank you so much in advance!

Comments (23)

• arthurm
    14 years ago

Probably not the best way to grow a Phal....lots of complete culture notes to be found on the net.

But, you could try reading past posts on vase culture on this site, they relate mostly to Vandas but you might get some handy hints there.

To find those posts, go to the the top of the discussions page and put Vase Culture in the search box.

• curlyone
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you, I will try that...
    I wasn't sure if the care for minis is the same as for regulars....

• Related Discussions

Beginner Container garderner! need advice.

Q

Comments (1)
    Make sure your roof will hold the weight and bear the foot traffic of you tending the garden. Order your seeds from Baker Creek or another place that sells only Open-pollinated or heirloom seeds, so you can save them each year. Good luck :)
    ...See More

I am a beginner gardener. I need some advice, please!

Q

Comments (4)
    Parsley is a cool weather herb in the southeast. If it dies, it's normal, so don't worry. Replant it in the fall and enjoy it through winter and spring. Assuming you did harden off the other herbs (if not, that's the trouble), the problem could be your potting soil. Herbs tend to like very well drained soil that's on the lean side nutritionally. So, if say, you used Miracle Gro potting soil with moisture control and fertilizer, the soil is staying too wet and the plants are getting too much feed. Back off the water first. Make sure the soil is nearly dry before you water. That may be enough for them to perk up. Next time, buy the straight Miracle Grow potting soil without the moisture control. (The fertilizer will leach out of the soil in a few weeks.) Arkansas Traveler is a really big tomato vine. You need a really big pot to grow it in: 18 inches wide and deep at least. If that's not the trouble, it may be hungry. Tomatoes in pots need regular (weekly or at least every other) fertilizer, and of course, they need consistent moisture. Don't ever let the pot go completely dry. The bigger the pot, the longer it stays moist... The pepper will be fine in your all day sun. Feed and water it just like the tomato. As the weather gets even hotter, it will do even better.
    ...See More

Beginner in need of advice for front yard.

Q

Comments (6)
    If you can't get them any lower, or hollow them out to plant in them, you can put really big wire basket planters on top of each one and plant an asparagus fern in each. Do you want a tree that stays green year-round or a tree that loses its leaves? I like my Chinese Fringe Tree. It isn't messy and I have not had to prune it at all. Another favorite is Brachychiton acerifolius. Both trees are pretty in bloom and when they are not in bloom and have nice green leaves. Here is a link that might be useful: pics of tree
    ...See More

Beginner in need of advice!

Q

Comments (5)
    Hi there You might consider that old saw " evergreens are the basis of foundation plantings" because it really is true. They give you something to look at when summer has done in your tulips or the neighborhood kids have snitched your lilies. They will also provide shelter and food for birds and butterflies. Native species are great because they provide what our native fauna need to thrive, a garden full of imported species doesn't do much to help the locals. Other recommendations would be to make your beds half ( or more!) again as wide as you think you should. Stuff grows pretty quickly, you can save yourself some labor later on. Use mulches but don't overdo it, and don't volcano your trees! Their 'lungs' are at the level of the soil, don't suffocate them! Have fun!
    ...See More
  • jane__ny
    14 years ago

Just a brief response. I don't think growing any plant in something without drainage is going to work. If it were my plant, I would repot it immediately and water it properly. Orchids need air around their roots. They also need water and nutrients. Yours sounds like an impossible situation.

Jane

• curlyone
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Jane!
    I thought about repotting, even tried talking about it with my florist, and he said the plant didn't need to be repotted ever (?)
    This is a beautiful plant with 2 almost a yard long spikes in bloom, and they both branch out a few shorter spikes...
    Being planted in a clear glass vase makes it look even better, but is it better for the plant...?
    (It looks like rainforest in the vase )
    It is really pretty and I am scared to try repotting since I have no prior experience with orchids.
    I would feel really bad if I accidentally killed it....;-(
    Have to do more research I guess...

Does anyone know what is the best watering method for phal minis?
    If misting how much, how often, just leaves and/or moss?
    What kind of nutrients do you feed your orchids and how often?

THANKS A LOT EVERYONE!

• arthurm
    14 years ago

The problem is that if you go to an orchid show or an orchid meeting you will never see an orchid growing in a glass vase, so you are asking about a growing method that is outside the expertise of most people here.

That is why i pointed you in the direction of past posts about growing Vandas (Related to Phalaenopsis) in vases. Some people seemed to be having success so who am i to say No! you cannot do it.

You could still water the plant at intervals appropriate to your growing conditions and tip the vase carefully to let the excess water drain away.

The key word in the last sentence is growing conditions. A description of where you have the plant might solve the mystery of why the buds are aborting.

• cdbinfl
    14 years ago

What I would do is leave it in your vase as long as it is in bloom and enjoy it, mist it regularly, you want to get roots wet but not have them sit in standing water. Let it dry out slightly between watering/misting. You do not need to fertilize it while it is in bloom.

Once it is done blooming and you want to continue to grow it to rebloom, you may want to take it out of the glass vase and pot it in a regular orchid pot (has extra holes for drainage). Then treat it just as you would any other Phal. Fertilize with a week solution of orchid fertilizer. Some people go by "weakly, weekly", meaning fertilize once a week with a weak solution. Others may fertilize every other week and still others every month with the instructed strength recommended.

There is no magic recipe anyone can give you to follow. Read up on it, here and elsewhere, there is a lot of information available on the internet. You have to do what works for you. Culture depends on how you grow it- indoors, outdoors, the humidity level where you live, etc.

I live in Florida, I grow mine outdoors in a shade house and also attached to trees on my property. I bring potted ones in to enjoy when they are in bloom and move them back out after they are finished.

If you want to try and keep it in the vase after it is done blooming, do it, experiment, it may or may not work. If it starts to decline, then take it out and repot.

Also, it would be helpful if posted a picture of this glass vase so everyone could see exactly what you are talking about. Often florists make beautiful arrangements but don't take into consideration the needs of the plants long term. Their expectation is that people would not keep the plant after blooming. And not every florist is familiar with orchid culture. Yours may or may not be.

• lindakay
    14 years ago

Are the leaves and roots clear down in the vase? If so they need air circulation. Linda

• curlyone
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you so much for taking time to reply and trying to help me out!

I have it next to the west facing window that overlooks covered balcony, so it gets light but never direct sunlight.
    I live in North Texas, zone 8.

This morning my Phal had more suprises for me, and not at all good ones... The bottom leaf (it has 6 big ones, 7th still growing) is turning yellow, and the top 2 leaves on one side got about inch long crack in the middle of the leaf... Not sure what this would mean...
    I know yellow leafs usually mean too much water in other plants but I really do not give it that much water, and mostly just mist... But the cracks in the leaves I have no idea what to do about those... Help please!

I think repotting is just a matter of time now.
    What medium would you recommend?
    I need to find really long pot since the fattest root goes all the way down to the bottom of the vase...

I have photos resized and ready to post, I know all this is hard to imagine just by my descriptions, but I have to figure out how to post them...

Thanks again!

• newbiehavinfun
    14 years ago

Your florist is way wrong. Most orchids need repotting yearly as the potting medium degrades. Also, orchids need excellent drainage. Watering once weekly sounds about right, but you will need to water more in the summer or if you buy a slotted pot. I water my phals every third day as they are in slotted pots with sphagmum moss. Phals don't have pseudobulbs so they can't hold extra water, so don't let them dry out. Mine are in a large eastern facing window. If you mist the leaves, make sure you do so in the morning to give the water time to evaporate before sundown. This will help avoid fungal growth. Phals like to be fertilized. I fertilize mine once every two weeks with a 20-20-20. Some people fertilize weekly with a weakened solution.

• curlyone
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ok, I uploaded photos to flickr,
    hopefully this link will take you to my photostream so you can see what I was talking about!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/48873150@N07/

I REALLY appreciate all of your help and advices!

Here is a link that might be useful: MyPhal Photos

• jane__ny
    14 years ago

That appears to be a losing situation for your plant. The leaves look limp and the roots (hard to see) appear either dry or rotted. Its possible that you need to get more water into the bottom of the vase, then the roots can get some moisture. A closer shot of the roots would be helpful.

I think you need to get the plant into a small pot with some bark mixed with a small amount of sphagnum moss. Soak the bark for a few hours before potting. If the green root is the only live root, soak it to make it pliable and circle the pot with the root. Try not to damage it. You could cut the spikes off to conserve strength, move the plant to a bright window and it should recover.

Phals grow attached to trees where their roots receive lots of air. I can't see a way this plant will survive in that vase.

Jane

• curlyone
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Jane,

I tried to get a better photo of the roots but since I have to do it through the glass
    the photos don't turn out sharp enough or have the glass reflection...

But you are right, some of the roots look dryed out and
    others like they had too much water...it's strange really...
    The big root is the only one I can see that looks healthy, and I am so glad you told me how to make it pliable,
    I was worried that I won't be able to find narrow pot that is deep enough.

What shape of the pot would you recommend?

I will go to the nursery tomorrow to get moss and bark you recommended.
    Should I use packing peanuts on the bottom?
    Should I soak the roots in hydrogen peroxide(oxidizing) or put cinnamon powder(natural fungicide) on the cut surface when I trim the bad roots?

There are only few flowers left now and as soon as they are done blooming I will cut the spikes down.
    Will it need fertilization right after repotting or should I wait?

Ahhh...so many questions!
    I really appreciate your help,
    and thanks so much for sticking with me from the beginning!

• curlyone
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Is there a preferred kind or brand of Sphagnum moss and/or orchid bark or "potting mix" ?
    Thanks so much!

• orchid126
    14 years ago

It appears like you are growing the plant fully hydroponicly. Many people grow orchids in a method called semi-hydroponics, which is they use an inert medium to hold the plant roots up, like ceramic pellets or volcanic rock. You are using nothing but a bit of moss at the top to hold the orchid up there while the roots dangle freely in the water. You might want to research semi-hyroponics to see how it's done before you decide to change over to bark. FirstRay's site has a lot of information on the process.

• ntt_hou
    14 years ago

Your orchid is beautiful but not an ideal growing needs for orchids. From your photos, leaves showed drooping and minor wrinkled, and roots seemed drying out. Looks like lacking of air and water.

Jane_ny had already given you some good technique for repotting. I would just cut off the dried roots, then soak the roots well like Jane mentioned; then, just repot with orchid mixture/barks into another well drained pot.

• curlyone
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Ntt_hou!

Orchid126 - semi-hydroponics looks interesting! I might try that in the future,
    however they don't have the medium available at the stores here and I have to do something quick.
    My poor plant is deteriorating rapidly...

I got the moss, bark, new planter with extra holes on the sides for drainage and the orchid food today.
    Bark is soaking, repotting tomorrow!

(Should I feed right after repotting?)

Thanks everyone for your help!

I have learned so much about orchids,
    and have a lot of moss and bark leftover....

Seems like I have to buy more orchids ;-)

• jane__ny
    14 years ago

You should never have 'just one!' Post a pic after you pot. It is Spring and your plant should perk up fast.

Good luck,
    Jane

• curlyone
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Talk about a horror story...
    Remember that big thick healthy root... well, that was NOT a root at all,
    but a hardy stick from some other plant, cut and sealed at the top and bottom.
    I guess the florist decided to put that in for the looks...??!?
    It fell off before I got the plant out of the vase all the way, I was really disappointed...
    The rest of the roots were all dry and mostly moldy....ugh!
    The top parts all dried up in a tight ball and bottoms hangig with some black moldy parts...
    I washed the old potting medium out and cut of what couldn't be saved,
    which is most of them... and since I knew I couldn't get my hands on any kind of
    rooting solution in the next few days, I planted it in sphagnum moss and pre-soaked bark as is for the moment...
    I cut off one spike, the other one is still in bloom, but flowers are wilting so
    I will have to cut that one probably today or tomorrow...
    I do feel bad about cutting it off since it is healthy, huge and has 4 branches that are still growing...
    but what has to be done, has to be done...
    Leaves still do not look good.

What are your recommendations?
    Thanks!

P.S. I am trying to post photos but am having some problems with flickr. I will try again later....

• julysun
    14 years ago

Nice glass vases that I have have a small hole drilled (Diamond drill, about $20 on the web) near the bottom and the medium is colorful marbles. Some have a clay used on race tracks, pea sized, that absorbs water and can be colored with food dye. The vases only retain about three tbs water. The marbles require more often watering.

• jane__ny
    14 years ago

Curlyone, you did the right thing. I don't know your climate, but I assume it is warm/hot? Leave the plant in the sphag, you could put some rooting hormone on the base and let the plant make new roots. This time of the year, Phals are in 'growth mode' and should start growing roots. Try to keep the plant in a fairly humid environment to avoid further dehydration and hope for the best. You could cut the spike or leave it. The flowers will draw more needed moisture from the plant.

As bad as it seems, this is a great time of the year to save a Phal. They are tough plants and with time and warmth, should turn around quickly.

Good luck, again

Jane

• curlyone
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Julysun - I was actually thinking about drilling the vase since I liked the way it all looked,
    but didn't have time to explore that idea since the plant was deteriorating quickly and I had to do something asap...
    Do you have photos of your vases/orchids, marbles and clay sound interesting...

Jane - thank you so much for all your help.
    I got the rooting powder yesterday and this morning cleaned the roots all over again,
    more detailed this time, dipped them in powder and replanted in sphag/bark mixture.
    I put the Phal. in a warmer window with more light, and put a plate of water close to it for additional air humidity.

I've done all I could, all that is left now is to hope that it was enough, and not too late...

• jane__ny
    14 years ago

Julysun, I have a question about growing in vases. I've tried it with a few plants and the vase and marbles got green with algae and looked terrible. I had to empty the water, clean the vase and marbles every few weeks. Finally gave up on that idea.

These weren't orchids, just plants like lucky bamboo. I can't imagine growing orchids like that or any other plant unless you clean the vase and marbles constantly. Even with drain holes, you would have moisture/algae. I grow some orchids in clear, plastic pots and the pots get algae build-up. Those pots are not decorative so I don't care. I would think growing in a clear vase would create an algae problem.

How are you growing these so you don't get algae?

Thanks,
    Jane

• julysun
    14 years ago

I get algae so I use glasses with painted designs on them, large ceramic coffee cups and such. It looks bad in the clear ones but the plants don't seem to mind. A real nice vase would need to be not clear or it would show the algae. Mine are on a widow sill over my sink and since I live alone no one complains.
    ;-))
    The marbles were a bad idea for beauty, they just become green rocks. I just wanted to use the clay used on horse race tracks, a water absorbing clay grit larger than sand. The orchids so far like it.
    I now have a bag of "Stall Dry" a volcanic aggregate, pea sized, I plan to try as a growing medium in a similar method. Something that won't rot is my ideal medium.

Here is a link that might be useful: Stall Dry

Sponsored
Franklin County's Heavy Timber Specialists | Best of Houzz 2020!