SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
celina268

Raised bed infested with ants-HELP!!

Celina268
11 years ago

I planted last Saturday (5/19) and I noticed A LOT of red ants! They aren't fire ants (I don't think we have those here in WI). I know ants can be beneficial, but there are so many of them. Plus, I am almost 100% sure they are eating my plants. I have two tomato plants, ten peppers, 4 each of broccoli, cauli and cabbage, some carrots, raddishes, 3 jalapeno, chive, thyme, cilantro, and onion. Once the stuff was planted, most all of the ants hang around the bases of the plants. They have made little ant hills (small, they aren't ant mounds) and they are all over the place. I don't know what to do! I am pretty sure if I let them go, they'll kill what's in there. This is my first year gardening and I really need some advice. I cannot run them from my bed, as I am in a community garden. I bought some stake baits but I haven't used it yet because it wasn't labled OMRI and I wasn't sure if I could use it IN the garden with the veggies. None of the stuff seeps out, so it seems ok. Also, I have read about diatomaceous earth. I am not sure how effective that would be though, since 90% of them are down in the roots now. Any ideas?

Comments (14)