SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kathyjane_gw

Lost Child in Wal-Mart

kathyjane
14 years ago

So I had to go get some 40" flourescent tubes at W-M tonight.

A lady in the hardware, car, hunting area had just checked me out when she got a call over her 2-way about a child being lost in the store---I waited 'til she was through and asked her for a description, then immediately started a search in the quadrant I was in, then started towards another area, working towards the front, stopping each W-M employee along the way to ask if she'd be found, yet. I got either a 'No.' or, 'Huh?' I was near the front and asked one employee to check the men's room while I checked the ladies.

Maybe 6 or 7 minutes had already elapsed when they FINALLY announced over the public address system that a child was lost in the store!! I saw nothing of employees on high alert, a number were still pushing carts or straightening up their section.

The little girl could be in a strangers' car by now!

I called the police and told them what was up----fearing she could just be whisked off with no one even taking notice at the rate the employees were going. He told me I had to get the manager to call them and then they could come, but they'd send a car, anyway, to be canvassing the parking lot.

OMG! All I could think of were my own dear grandchildren--I would be shrieking at the ceilings by now out of frustation

and fear for the child...

I was almost back at the front when I asked one more employee if she'd been found---he smiled and said "Yes!" ---the policeman was still on the phone and was glad to hear she'd been located.

I voiced my concerns to him about the laxness and length of time in getting the message out. I was told not to worry, that there were people posted at each door who could spot her if someone were trying to kidnap her.

My thought is, "There may be people posted at the doors, but, chances are they haven't been informed, or they're clueless.

I was not comforted, but thanked him.

Something needs to be done, I just have this sinking feeling that no matter who it is I talk to, it's going to be like talking to a wall.

They feel their procdures are all in place and work fine----I've dealt with them before on other issues---not any this important, though,

Doe anyone have any suggestions how to approach W-M AND the police?

You guys already know I'm like a bull in a china shop when it comes to the gentle art of persuasion....but, I really feel the police need to school them on what to look for AND to help with a MUCH better plan of action.

I'll get laughed right out the front doors, but this is IMPORTANT!

I need ideas, please.....

Comments (7)

Sponsored
More Discussions