SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shellva

I had a disturbing conversation today

shellva
16 years ago

Hello everyone,

Today was my neighborhood yard sale. I had extra tomato plants and dried gourds out. An older couple pulled up. The lady went across the street to a neighbor's table, the man stood in the road and talked to me about tomatoes.

After awhile I figured out he was one of our local farmers. He grows sweet corn. I asked him if he ever has problems with smut. The one and only year I tried to grow corn I lost it to this fungus or whatever it is.

As he reached into his pocket to pull out a pack of cigarettes, he says no, he has no problem with it, that's what chemicals are made for.

Then he shows me the pack of cigarettes and he says "you know, people complain and holler about how dangerous and full of chemicals these are, but they have no clue as to just how many chemicals are in their food!" He said all this like he was letting me in on a dirty little secret.

And then this is where it gets really bizarre. I could have sworn he said, "I spend about $300,000 a year on chemicals for my crops." How I hope I heard him wrong.

But regardless, the man actually seemed kinda proud at the quantity of chemicals he uses. I was in such shock, such awe. Both in what he had to say and his attitude towards it all. I'm still kinda off kilter from the whole conversation.

Well, I just had to come and share that story someplace where others might appreciate it. I told it to my dad and his line of thinking is that we wouldn't be able to feed the masses without the chemicals. I dunno....sigh

Am I just too much of a tree huggin', dirt worshipping, fantasyland dweller or what?

Comments (21)