SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
suburbangreen

burying fish

suburbangreen
16 years ago

First of all I'm new to gardening. Pretty much from the beginning I chose to go organic. I only used the commercial 20-20-20 fertilizer a couple times and I diluted it.

I started a raised-bed veggie garden and bought the soil from a local company that makes a mix with roughly (I don't remember the exact mix) 10 percent green sand, 10 percent reg sand, I think 20 percent mulch, 20 percent compost, some clay and shale. I didn't realize the exact composition when I bought it in March. I just asked last week. I would have mixed in some native soil (black clay on the alkaline side)since the stuff is not actually soil. It hasn't worked to well for me, but I think it's turning around since some of the mulch and compost is decomposing further. Plus I've used fish emulsion liquid and slow release fish emulsion pellets. A couple weeks ago I sent a sample of the mixture to a lab to get tested so I would know exactly what's missing. I've also used no pesticides just an organic approved soap from walmart.

Now to my question. Both my brother-in-law and father-in-law are avid fishermen. On Mother's day they brought over stripped bass and cleaned them and we ate fish. I burying the scraps in my raised bed and in the native soil around my raised bed where I'm trying a couple tomato plants. I buried the scrap fairly deep, a foot or so. No birds or animals have been interested at least and I don't smell anything. I really think it's making a difference though. My tomato plants seem to have had a growth spurt especially the ones in my raised-bed. My father-in-law told me that the Indians told the pilgrims to plant a fish with each corn plant. I plan to add my first batch of homemade compost as mulch later this week. Maybe I can salvage a few tomatos and get a good fall crop.

Ever buried fish in your garden and does it work for you?

Thanks,

Pete

Comments (25)