SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
super_kd

Neem oil questions

Super_KD
12 years ago

Hi there!

I don't know if this is the right forum in which to ask, but it seems right so here goes anyways ;)

I bought some "Neem oil Extract" to use in my garden which is a sorta square-foot garden and as organic as is reasonable to me. As I was searching around here in the forums to learn more, I came across a post that mentioned the active ingredient, azadirachtin, and how it gets separated out of the oil during the processing. So I dug deeper, checked the MSDS for the stuff I bought, and it lists the active ingredient as "Clarified hydrophobic

Extract of neem oil." As I continued to dig, I found a link (http://www.epa.gov/opp00001/biopesticides/ingredients/factsheets/factsheet_025007.htm) which describes both the azadirachtin and the "Clarified hydrophobic Extract of neem oil." Specifically, it says, "When the natural neem oil is removed from the seeds and treated with alcohol, virtually all of the azadirachtin and related substances separate from the oil itself. The remaining oil - without the azadirachtin - is called Clarified Hydrophobic Extract of Neem Oil. Azadirachtin acts in the following ways: It deters certain insects, such as locusts, from feeding and it interferes with the normal life cycle of insects, including feeding, molting, mating, and egg laying."

So it would appear that what I bought, "Clarified hydrophobic Extract of neem oil" is missing the important bit which is the sole reason for buying the neem oil in the first place. Very frustrating. Once again I was fooled by Marketing, labeling and Big Garden Centers. I feel like I bought orange juice with all the vitamin C and sugar removed.

Do any of you folks out there know if I should even bother spraying this stuff on my plants (which do seem to be having problems, hence the purchase)? Does the rest of the neem oil without the active ingredient have any beneficial properties? If not, I'm just going to compost it or something. Maybe use it to shine up the tires on my car.

Thanks

Here is a link that might be useful: Linked version of the above

Comments (5)