SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
canyoncrawler

Organic fertilizer recipe (need help tweaking)

canyoncrawler
14 years ago

Hello, I have been reading these forums for about a year now, and i have finally decided to register and make a post. Thanks to everybody that has helped me in the past. What a great resource!

Ok, here is why i wanted to post:

I have been tweaking an organic fertilizer recipe for my raised veggie garden. I just wanted to see if anyone had any problems/comments on how to improve this mixture. I am trying to perfect this, and it seems to be working well so far.

By the way i have sandy loam with quite a bit of compost worked in. My PH is not constant in my beds, because of different var.s growing, but my normal soil PH before ammendment was very acid ( i cleared out many vaccinium, cornus, and pine species when i made my garden)

I use 1 batch per 100 or so square ft and this recipe makes about a gallon.

Nitrogen Sources:

3 cups fish meal (10-4-0) fast release

3 cups cottonseed meal (6-2-1) medium release

1 cup Crab Meal (5-1-0) + nematode suppression + lowers PH. slow release

Phosphorus Sources:

1 cup bone meal (6-9-0) fast release

1 cup Rock Phosphate (0-3-0) slow release

Potassium Sources:

1 cup kelp meal (1-0-8) fast release

1 cup alfalfa meal (3-1-2 + vitamins and trace minerals) medium release

2 cups Greensand (0-0-3 + many trace minerals) slow release

Soil Activity sources:

1 cup Limestone (lowers PH to compensate for acidiy of seed meal) medium release

2 cups Vermicompost (active fungi/bacteria + trace elements + humic acids) fast release

optional 1 handfull of fulvic acid powder

Yeah, there a lot of ingredients, but most can be bought in bulk. If bought dry, they have good shelf life, besides the vermicompost, which could be optional i suppose. (By optional i mean that you need to get a worm bin already, haha)

I look forward to any and all input.

Thanks and have a blessed day!

Comments (16)