SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sydproquo

My Morning Glories seem healthy but then die....

sydproquo
16 years ago

I am a good gardener, but with tomatoes, cucumbers, and spider plants. Anything tropical, mind you, is completely hell for me. I know that I am in Zone 5, in Canada, but I should still be able to grow Morning Glories. What happens is either a plant starts off healthy and then the leaves wilter and it dies, OR it starts off healthy and then doesn't support itself and then half the stem slopes down and eventually breaks off (I have helped one plant with a popsicle stick, but then shortly after it wiltered and died). Now with each plant that has died, I checked its roots and the roots are healthy and white, they almost look like they are still growing, so it must not be root rot (maybe stem rot, but I haven't over-watered them and I have pretty good triple mix soil with well drained pots).

I didn't want to try growing the plants in peet moss first because peet moss seems to grow mold the quickest.

I have grown about 14 plants and all of them except about two have died (I am scared that the two remaining are going to die). I had one plant that looked great one day and then the next day the leaves look like they were all burnt off and about half an inch from the top of the stem was all flimsy.

Please, someone help me... I have NO clue what is going on. If anyone can shed some light on this, your help will be aprreciated.

Syd

P.S. I also have been growing them indoors, maybe they haven't been getting enough sunlight, but I have put them outside in direct sunlight around 3 or 4 pm until about 7 pm.

Comment (1)