SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
darknova_gw

Applying soybean meal / alfalfa meal to garden

darknova
11 years ago

We'll be planting our garden soon -- mostly tomatoes and beans. This will be the second year we have done lasagna gardening on our tomato beds -- our layers are mostly shredded leaves and hay. All beds will have compost also applied.

Our natural soil is very sandy and pretty low in nutrients, so we've been working on improving it, which is one reason we've done the lasagna gardening. It seems to have really helped last year.

My question is -- even though we are increasing the amount of organic matter, leaves and hay and compost are all pretty low in nitrogen. Tomatoes especially use nitrogen quickly. I'm thinking that to increase the amount of nitrogen available, a grain like soybean or alfalfa meal would be useful. I've seen the "normal" rate quoted at 10-20 lbs/1000 square feet (per year), but I think this figure usually comes from lawn discussions. Would it be a similar amount for vegetable gardens, and when would you apply it? All at once, when planting, or split it up and do, say, 5 lbs/1000 square feet several times throughout the summer? Or use a different amount?

Thanks for the advice.

Comments (6)