SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
whitecat8

#1 - This is my worst time with orchids

whitecat8
15 years ago

Four years into the obsession, many plants seem at risk. Over the last year or so, there may have been mites, Phal mites, mealy bugs, fungus, weird spots, and blasted buds. More plants have died than during the two years before, and at least 2 were probably killed by Phal mites before I knew what was going on.

And these bugs and infections could still be damaging plants, and I’d pretty much be clueless.

I say there “may have been” these nasties because my confidence in my diagnostic skills is zero. Old hands say to look at the roots. Unless they’re all dead, roots tell me nothing.

Y’all have helped me w/ safe remedies for bugs and infections - insecticidal soap and hydrogen peroxide. Nothing has died since I started spraying, but I’m real worried about fungus on the Phrag kovachii and an infection and maybe mites on the treasured Phal Ching Ruey.

Could you look at these pix and see what the problem may be? I’d be awfully grateful.

None of these plants has been outside except the Ang, but it wasn't outside last summer.

More pix in later posts.

1. Ang fastuosa. Buds are stuck and not opening. It's rebloomed twice before w/ no problems. The only thing different I can think of is that, in the last year, sometimes the glass jar it's in has had a clear plastic plant saucer over the top to preserve humidity. Maybe a mistake.

{{gwi:146981}}

One of the original leaves recently yellowed and came off, and one has this spot on it.

{{gwi:146983}}

2. Den laevifolium. It’s rebloomed once. Recently, 4 leaves on 2 growths have turned yellow and fallen off. A small new growth has little brown spots on it.

{{gwi:146985}}

3. Doritis pulcherrima 'KF,' which has rebloomed.

{{gwi:146987}}

4. Dtps. Siam Treasure. The “bite” out of the leaf is a mystery to me - hopefully not to you.

{{gwi:146990}}

5. Luerella (Masde) pelicaniceps 'B.' In the last few days, 2 yellow leaves have come off.

{{gwi:146994}}

More to follow. Thanks so much.

Whitecat8

Comments (20)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!