SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
autumn808_gw

plant selection for beginning collection

autumn808
17 years ago

Hi,

I am working on beginning an orchid collection in one of my vacant windows. I've done quite a bit of research and I think I may have reasonable growing conditions for some orchid varieties, but I wanted to consult with experts before I acquired any plants. My growing conidtions are something like this- A large west facing window (which has a nonremovable screen in it which softens the sun ever so slightly- the window takes fairly direct sun from about 1:30pm until sunset), relative humidity of around 50% in the summer and 40-45% in the winter, day temps of 73-76 and night temps of around 68. Despite the direct western exporsure the screening seems to prevent extreme heating... I'm hoping to find some plants that could be easy growing as well as easy and prolific in blooming- and fragrant. I expect that I'm probably asking for too much... After scanning through the inventory at norman's I had picked out a few plants that my novice eyes found interesting- I have listed them below. If anyone here has any experience or recommendations on these or perhaps other plants which I've overlooked I would be eternally grateful.

Autumn

Vuyl. Melissa Brianne 'Shady Ladys'

Slc. Puppy Candy 'Puppy Love'

Kir. Tropical Jewel 'Hihimanu'

Blc. Hawaiian Mini Island 'Carmela'

Phal. Texas Mist 'Jean Lee'

Phal. schillerana

Dtps. 'Red Coral'

Comments (10)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews