SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
orchidnick

Hoorizontal collection enhancement.

orchidnick
10 years ago

Horizontal expansion on the business world it the acquisition of similar items to enrichen the product. Orchid collecting can also work that way. Getting as many as is possible of a genus works along these lines. With Buibophyllums of which there are 3,000 or more, this would not be practical. Completing a subgroup like the macrobulbons is possible and definitely worth trying. I have them all except cruentum which even Andy can't grow I have given up after several tries and I will no longer throw money at that one.

Epipactis is the one I want to talk about. Epipactis gigantea is a common California terrestrial, the 'Stream Orchid' they call it as it grows in the moist creek beds all over California and the US. There are certainly plenty of them in North San Diego County and people visit them on orchid nature walks. It's not commonly sold by orchid vendors but a native plant nursery in Encinitas has it, and I bought it from them.

While talking to the guy, it became apparent that there exists a dark leafed variety named Epipactis gigantea 'Serpentine Nights'. This is the European version which is not a different variety but a different form. Over 100 years ago someone brought one in from Europe and planted it in New England. Windborn seeds spread it all over North America and it is found in isolated colonies all over the US. Finding that one was more of a challenge, eventually someone from the East Coast sent me 2 root stocks which have sprouted. I have since learned that there is a 'Native Plant Nursery' in Santa Barbara that also has it. With it's deep purple leaves and the contrasting orange flower it is said to be quite striking. Then I saw a Chinese one on Ebay and could not resist. Epipactis Mairei is also sprouting in my cold greenhouse, far from it's home in Asia.

These are not spectacular plants and one never sees them but getting an American, European and Asian variety was a little challenging as they are not commonly available. Since these are not beautiful plants like some of the Coelogyne for example, expanding the collection in that direction is fueled by desire to have interesting and unusual specimens. If I ever find another Epipqactis, there exist 73 different ones, I would immediately grab it. I call that horizontal expansion of the collection and I find it interesting, stimulating and rewarding.

A google search has revealed that 3 additional types, palustris, royleana and the hybrid sabine are available from German nurseries. I'm contemplating making a run at them but it's a bit of a pain with import issues and al since I found them at 3 different nurseries and would have to deal with the import issue three times..

Nick

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022