SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gandle

We sure didn't call it 'Organic Gardening'.

gandle
17 years ago

It was just gardening or farming. All the manures from the horse and cow barn and the chicken houses were scraped up with the urine soaked straw bedding from the animal barns. The weeds chopped by hand with a corn knife, like a a machete were piled with the barn residuue and turned with a horse drawn dump rake several times then spread on the garden and fields. Didn't go very far but yields seemed to be as good or better than most of our farm neighbors.

I really don't think there were other synthetic fertilizers available or if there was we sure couldn't have afforded them. This was in the late 20's and early 30's.

We always planted 100 lbs. of potatoes and the preferred method of control of potato bugs was to take a small can of kerosene and knock the little varmints into the can. Remember when dad came home with a product supposed to save a lot of time in the bug killing and be very effective. It was arsenate of lead. He mixed up a batch and started to spray then came to the house and announced, "That stuff has both arsenic and lead in it, do we really want it on our potatoes? The rest of the bag was still sitting in the machinery shed when I left for the Navy in 1943 and was still there when I came back in 46. Was still there years later. Probably dumped on the ground when the place was sold after dad passed away.

Didn't intend for this to be novel length.

Comments (7)