SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
silverdreamer

Trying to ID an Orchid Collection at Local College

silverdreamer
14 years ago

Hey,

I've recently assumed care of the small orchid collection at my local college greenhouse. I'm new at this orchid thing - only got into it a few years ago when I took over our houseplants and managed to get the orchids we had blooming again. So, I don't know much about ID, just about how to keep the orchids generally happy. Problem: while there is a list of names that came with the collection, it's been 10 yrs or so since the collection was donated and the labels were not kept up. There is the beginning of a book of identified photographs, but it was never completed and not all of the photographs are of good quality. I'm slowly working on matching photos with plants as they bloom (and taking better photos), but I'm running into some I can't ID with the resources I have. I would also like to double check the ones I think I have ID'd correctly.

I tried the ever helpful 'Google', but that didn't bring any results. The sorts of names I have to work with are: examples - [U]Phalanopsis[/U] Zauberrose 'Mendenhall' x [U]Phal.[/U] Lyric Serenade 'Zephyr' ; [U]Phalaenopsis[/U] Heritage ; [U]Brassolaeliocattleya[/U] Green Heart 'Imperal Jade' x [U]Blc.[/U] 'Diane K. Sauleda' ; etc and so on.

Does anyone know of a ID source for cultivars I could use? Or if I posted a list of names, would any of you be able to help me find photos so that when the plants come into bloom I can match them with their proper name? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths