SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
queuetue

Organic fungicide for damping-off?

queuetue
16 years ago

For the first time, I've gone big with starting my seedlings inside, and it really started to pay off. The pumpkins are huge, with thick green stalks, the cukes are gorgeous looking, and the melons were already showing promise of the delicious days of summer. I did a bit of thinning in the styrofoam cups they were growing in, and moved them to larger peat pots to mature until the last frosts were over.

The next morning, two of the melons were dead, keeled over, and I thought I must have damaged the roots. An hour later, one of the healthy melons nearby drooped alarmingly, and by 6 o' clock, it was gone, too. When two cukes started to droop, I started to realize it wasn't transplant damage - I've got something going on.

Postmortem analysis of that last melon showed a strange pattern I've never seen before - a nice healthy stem that looked "pinched" at the root line and collapsed near the leaves. The cukes looked similar, although they weren't dead yet, just headed there.

I've never encountered damping off before, but I assume this must be what I'm seeing. I think some combination of cheap peat pots, a new bag of starting soil, or overzealous watering has invited a nasty friend to move into my seedling trays.

Does this sound like the problem? Do I need to quarantine the sick ones?

What I've done: Lightly sprayed with weak chamomile tea and followed up with a 1:20 dilution of hydrogen peroxide and sprinkled cinnamon over the soil of the affected plants and their neighbors. (I felt a little silly doing this, but the Internet sez it's a natural fungicide.) I put a fan in the growing closet, and pulled the peat pots out of the plastic tray they were in to improve airflow around the pots in an attempt to dry them out quickly. And I've stopped watering. I would give each pot a squirt or two from a spray bottle a few times a day before. Now, I'll wait until the top soil is dry and asking for it, and I'll try to work out some process to water from below.

Is there much else I can do? If I can avoid introducing chemicals, I'd like to, but organic solutions and product suggestions are welcome.

Comments (10)